Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ?? >

Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ??

Notices
View Poll Results: power joke ??
HAVE subscription, will continue to have one
52.78%
HAD subscrition, will not have another
21.30%
will NOT renew after current one is up.
16.20%
never had one never will, OSO rules..
9.72%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ??

Old 02-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ??

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I signed up for 3 years for 45 bucks at the Daytona race in 2002. I figured that's a good deal, 1.25 per issue, so what the hell. When it soon expires, I don't think I'll be renewing.

It comes in the mail and all I see is OLD NEWS from OSO 3 months ago.

The boat tests are worthless and I don't know many people who give a damn about the ski boat they test each month.

That about sums it up right there!

I did the same thing three years ago at the Detroit boat show and since the boat show is going on right now i would imagine my subscription is about over.

If I had found OSO first i would have never bought the subscription, but even if i hadn't found OSO I still wouldn't re-subscribe there just isn't much that interests me in there anymore.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lofty

, I'll let Reed explain. If he pulls his head out of the Y long enough to read this.
Cough... gasp.... coming up for air...............
Old 02-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like subscribing to several boating magazines (PB, HB, PRA, Family & Performance Boating). They're cheap entertainment, and although there may only be a few articles in each that pertain to my specific interests, I enjoy getting ideas for upgrades for my boat. I don't have the money to buy the high-end rigs, but always enjoy looking for ways to make my boat better looking and performing.

Test reports in Powerboat tend to get more specific about prop types, rpm ranges and the effect of the props on the handling of the boat. When Teague talks, I listen.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ??

Originally Posted by CigDaze
The boat tests are worthless and I don't know many people who give a damn about the ski boat they test each month.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Powerboat later admitted it was a last minute mistake:

"The error really was that innocent. But sold out? It's just not true. Was it a good choice for our audience? No. Was it a mistake? Absolutely, but that's all it was. Not a conspiracy. Not a sellout." Bret Becker writes.

You people will use that as your rallying cry forever. If you're that pissed about Manatee zones, wage battle against those tree hugging fools, not one of the few publications that showcases our noisy (to some) gas guzzling boats that we love so much. Get over it already.
Indy,
I guess you didn't see all the BS emails/posts that went back and forth between me, Shane, and others here and Becker/ Craig Cleaver and all the other idiots @ Powerboat. It wasn't just their little "Error" in running the Manatee ad, it was their whole attitude over the whole Manatee issue down here in Fl. They just another media outlet that doesn't do any investigation before they publish something.
And yes we are fighting the F#$$^%# $MC everyday, and NO I DON'T HAVE TO GET OVER IT! YOU TRY IDLING 45-60 MINUTES THRU MANATEES ZONES before you even put your boat on plane!!!! Bottom line is RECREATIONAL BOATERS ARE NOT THE ONES HITTING MANATEES!
DEan
Old 02-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered

Unhappy Re: Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ??

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Indy,
I guess you didn't see all the BS emails/posts that went back and forth between me, Shane, and others here and Becker/ Craig Cleaver and all the other idiots @ Powerboat. It wasn't just their little "Error" in running the Manatee ad, it was their whole attitude over the whole Manatee issue down here in Fl. They just another media outlet that doesn't do any investigation before they publish something.
And yes we are fighting the F#$$^%# $MC everyday, and NO I DON'T HAVE TO GET OVER IT! YOU TRY IDLING 45-60 MINUTES THRU MANATEES ZONES before you even put your boat on plane!!!! Bottom line is RECREATIONAL BOATERS ARE NOT THE ONES HITTING MANATEES!
DEan
Hey, money is money. If they print an ad in the mag or an article that you don't like. Don't buy it. If OSO were to get a lot of money for a Manatee ad... would that keep you from coming here?

F.Y.I. In Newport Beach, CA we idle 45 - 50 to get on plane here too. And we don't have them here like you do over there
Old 02-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Registered

I subscribe to all of them and enjoy reading them. I enjoy anything to do with boating!
Old 02-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll renew my subsciption.....I admit the endless parade of mega buck rides that I'll never afford is GETTING BORING!!!!.....I agree with Troutly they should have more detailed performance data (fuel consumption etc......Like in Boating magazine) you'd have room for it if they dropped those stupid ski boat tests........They refuse to publish maximum cabin headroom dimensions despite numerous pleads, they wont tell you if a 6ft tall man can get in the head and close the door and move around enough to get the job done (its important dammit!!! )...........they wont do a twin engine build up in the flavour of their Formula 271 Fastech.......even though the vast majority of the bling bling cover boats are twins......they wont do a twin engine prop test.........in fact the way things are going with the technology in props these days Id like to see a twin engine and single engine prop test at least once a year....two different twins and two different singles.........You got Dick Delborto (or whatever) with all his gagets......test them!!.......take some of those portable deck mounted A/Cs and throw them on the deck of an offshore and see if it does the job....sleep in the boat!!!.....do they work???....are they too loud???.......do they vibrate too much???.......there are so many products!!!!.......test Sandspikes....test Box anchors......have a slip on muffler shootout........have a driveshower shootout.......stop testing an F350 with a 271 Formula on behind.......put on a 42 Fountain!!........... make it so I dont have to go to 'Boating' read about a product and figure out an "offshore boat conversion" to see if it would work for me.......... ( are you listening PB!!).......Their new editor seems to be much more in touch although he has a huge task in front of him to bring the whole mag up to speed.......Ive never seen Extreme Boats Mag but I like Family and Perfomance Boating the best........WAY WAY more hands on and some of their feature boats are 20 over years old!!!!!.........doug scott
Old 02-19-2005, 01:31 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twinn29
.......You got Dick Delborto (or whatever) with all his gagets......test them!!.......take some of those portable deck mounted A/Cs and throw them on the deck of an offshore and see if it does the job....sleep in the boat!!!.....do they work???....are they too loud???.......do they vibrate too much???.......there are so many products!!!!.......test Sandspikes....test Box anchors......have a slip on muffler shootout........have a driveshower shootout...............doug scott
Its a good guess that everything Dick B mentions in his column are all paying advertisers, surely they wouldn't be too happy if something negative came out. If its an add, tell us its an add and don't pretend its something you'd recommend.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasabe

F.Y.I. In Newport Beach, CA we idle 45 - 50 to get on plane here too. And we don't have them here like you do over there
Hey Wasabe, we got that beat here in the northeast...it's called WINTER and it can take us up to 6 months to get our boats on plane

Quick Reply: Power Joke Magazine poll: Subscriptions ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.