Notices

sales tax

Old 02-19-2005, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sales tax

I am buying another boat I was wondering when you document the boat do you still have to pay state sales taxes I have heard you do not anyone with info on this would be appreciated
Old 02-19-2005, 07:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 445 Posts
Default Re: sales tax

Here in MD, you have to title the boat within 30 days of purchase (at least the date has to show that ). You also must have a bill of sale stateing the amount that you bought it for. sales tax is due upon transfer of title, not registration,DNR will give you everything when you go to change over title...Md sales tax is 5%
Old 02-19-2005, 07:48 AM
Registered

In Florida when you register the boat they hit you with the sales tax. Not sure about documenting it but I'll bet they'll have some way conjured up to get the tax out of you.

In Sarasota, there are three different boards that can raise property taxes, The local government (Sarasota County Commissioners), the Hospital Board, and the School Board. And they just keep hiking it, hiking it, and hiking it. When we bought our house in Aug. 01 our property taxes were thirteen hundred per year. Now they are just under 3 Grand.

And that doesn't EVEN include the rate hikes on all our property insurances, (homeowners, flood, and wind), all seperate and all skyrocketing, particularly flood. And in the history of our neighborhood it has NEVER flooded, yet people who flood out every three years or so are not included in the Federal "Flood" Zone.

Our government knows so well what they are talking about. Idiots.......

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 02-19-2005 at 08:08 AM. Reason: not awake yet, don't know the difference between a month and a year.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
In Sarasota, there are three different boards that can raise property taxes, The local government (Sarasota County Commissioners), the Hospital Board, and the School Board. And they just keep hiking it, hiking it, and hiking it. When we bought our house in Aug. 01 our property taxes were thirteen hundred per month. Now they are just under 3 Grand.

And that doesn't EVEN include the rate hikes on all our property insurances, (homeowners, flood, and wind), all seperate and all skyrocketing, particularly flood. And in the history of our neighborhood it has NEVER flooded, yet people who flood out every three years or so are not included in the Federal "Flood" Zone.

Our government knows so well what they are talking about. Idiots.......
Lotti, not to hijack your thread but nothing gets my blood boiling like taxes, I'm sure there is a way for the State to get their $'s from ya

Formula Outlaw - $36K/yr? There isn't ANYPLACE thats nice enough for me to pay that. 10% is good enough for God, but our Goverment(s)... They need to understand the well is dry and start slashing these give-a-ways

Great, 9:00am Saturday and I'm pissed already
Old 02-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Registered

to the best of my knowledge you have to take the boat off shore.. but first talk to a really good doc company or a tax attorney
Old 02-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Registered

you are going to find out unless you are buying a boat over 800k it's not worth the money and easier just to pay the tax
Old 02-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Playn
Lotti, not to hijack your thread but nothing gets my blood boiling like taxes, I'm sure there is a way for the State to get their $'s from ya

Formula Outlaw - $36K/yr? There isn't ANYPLACE thats nice enough for me to pay that. 10% is good enough for God, but our Goverment(s)... They need to understand the well is dry and start slashing these give-a-ways

Great, 9:00am Saturday and I'm pissed already

Not enough coffee yet. I should have said "year" not month. Property taxes have gone from thirteen hundred per year, to 3 K per year. Put the insurances on top of that and we are looking at about 8 grand a year before we turn the lights on.
Sorry about the confusion.

I wouldn't live in the Playboy mansion for 36K a year, unless I could afford it that is....
Old 02-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I got my 311 last April ....the MI sticker was good til March 05 so ....rolled the dice and just changed the registration last week .....never got stopped ...we had to steer clear of the Super Bowl ....they stopped every boat and checked Registration and ID's ....3500.00 !! what a BJ ....
Old 02-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Registered

If you have the boat documented, you can opt not to pay the sales tax at the time of documentation. You also don't have to deal with the registration numbers on the side of the boat and re-registering every year. You do have to put the documentation numbers on the inside of the egine compartment as well as the name of the boat and hailing port on the hull. I'm not sure how long it takes for them to finally tax you once you document it. From what I've heard it could take years. There's a web site that explains coast guard boat documentation that will explain the registration in detail.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Notched_Baja

If it is a used boat. Scratch a receipt down that is for $5K. You could of traded something for it and that was the difference.

Quick Reply: sales tax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.