Notices

what would you buy?

Old 02-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what would you buy?

want to buy 38' somewhere between 1994 and 1997. looking at scarabs, cigrarette, formula, and powerquest. how would you guys rank them. not really partial at this point. thanks for your input.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: what would you buy?

Originally Posted by ninetym
want to buy 38' somewhere between 1994 and 1997. looking at scarabs, cigrarette, formula, and powerquest. how would you guys rank them. not really partial at this point. thanks for your input.
The familiarity of this post to another recent post is uncanny
Old 02-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 406 Likes on 181 Posts

Cigarette,Formula,Scarab,Powerquest
Old 02-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Registered

Oh
Apache , Cig , Powerplay , Nor Tech
Old 02-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: what would you buy?

Fountain!
Old 02-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what you want in a boat.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Registered

The mfgs. that you have listed are all excellent quality boats. Look at them all, compare them and then go with the one that "you" like. It will eventually come down to personal preferance... Good luck
Old 02-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 2,957 Likes on 981 Posts

Me? I'd buy the Cig! However to rate them I'd say this;

Cigarette, you're not only buying the boat but the "legend", the mystique and the whole it's the most recognized name in offshore boat building around the world. Also the re-sale is excellent. though they are not the fastest and if you're looking for pure speed you're going to spend some cash to get a cig there.

Scarab, I personally really like Scarabs. Unfortunately they stopped making them and from what I've seen it's hurt the market on them. Good for you if you're buying one but bad for you if you want to sell it. They have a very long and distinguished history. I'd say it's probably the second most recognized name in offshore boat history due to Miami Vice. The older Scarabs (pre step) were heavy and crushed the water. took a bit of power to get them up and going. The stepped bottom was alot faster but still handled the water well.

Formula, cousin to Cig (thats a good thing! ) I've run a stepped 38 and was REALLY suprised at how well it handled and ran. the water was SUPER snotty too. good, strong boat with a strong incling to the luxury side.

PowerQuest, I can't comment. I've never drove or ridden in one. I personally think they are a little too styled towards the Euro look with more rounded edges. Not to offend anyone that owns a PowerQuest but they just don't strike me as a "hardcore" offshore boat.

You didn't mention Fountain but someone else did. If you want the speed that's obviously what reggie is going for. Good pricing for a turn key fast boat. You will get as much arguing about Fountains though as you would Apaches!

Someone also said Apache, Powerplay and Nor-tech

Apache, I like Apaches. Always have. they are heavy as sh!t and take tons of HP to push to a respectable speed. But arguably the best rough water boat ever built.

Powerplay, never been in one but like true offshore style styling. Seem to be well built from what I've seen.

Nor-tech. the only Nor-tech I've ever driven or been on was a 50' w/quad yanmars...probably something you are looking at buying. But dam was I impressed. thing ran like 65mph as I recall with granat counters and gold trim. It was a freakin' condo on the water. The 38' Nor-tech to me looks exactly like a top gun. I like it! It's a good looking boat.

so theres my summary. Good luck on whatever you buy. Just make sure it's what you want and then go enjoy.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cigarette, Apache, Formula, Scarab, Powerquest. I love the Nor Techs but don't know anyone who owns one. Good Luck
Old 02-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 406 Likes on 181 Posts

Ok since everybody is adding to the list I will to Cigarette, Outerlimts, Nor-Tech, Apache,Pantera, Powerplay, Formula, Powerquest.

Quick Reply: what would you buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.