Potomac River incident 6/11

Notices

Potomac River incident 6/11

Old 06-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Potomac River incident 6/11

Anybody have any info on what happened during the Poker Run on Saturday? About 4:00 PM on Sat. there were about five ambulances, cops, helicopters, etc. at Goose Bay. They took a guy off of a 28 Sunsation on a back board. The rumor I heard is that the guy broke his neck. Supposedly the driver cut the throttle all the way back at about 65 MPH and everybody in the boat flew forward.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Potomac River incident 6/11

Godspeed to whomever involved. I was not on the river. Potomac River Poker Runs just seem to be plaqued with issues, but I hope the couple left this year go off well.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-13-2005 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

From what i was told someone pulled the killl switch. But i do not know this was second hand info. I wish everyone a speedy recovery.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked with Val this morning. She said the driver (the DD) went to cross a wake and hit it too hard which threw her into the windshield, knocked off the kill switch and sliced her chin open. A guy sitting in the back was thrown forward into the cabin and broke his back. Val checked with the hospital yesterday and there is no spine damage.

Patti
Old 06-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

That is the best news I think we could hear considering. Thanks Patti.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks for the updates. I hope everyone makes a quick recovery. Another reminder that the sport we all love can be DANGEROUS.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

This was posted on another forum...

poker run and overconfidence at the 301 Bridge

Guys and Gals,
First let me say that I LOVE go fast boats, just can't afford them. I am a motor cyclcel rider, drag racer (cars) and love speed, wind, motorcycles, etc.

BUT heading south on the Potomac River Saturday, I witnessed the ultimate in arrogance that, luckily just ended in some bruises, I hope. As we neared the 301 Potomac River Bridge heading south, waves of go fast boats were heading north. Everything from F1s to 45-50' cats all running wide open. Although initially quite impressive, I mentioned to the father-in-law that it was pretty choppy and fairly windy for the speeds they were running. Most were ably on and off the throttle, many with drinks in hand, and sunburned babes in aft seats.

Sadly for one fellow he and another were off to the side running about 12-15 feet apart and likely near the 60-70mph mark when he got too much air under the bow and she started to fly. As the transom left the water and lost power she dropped back quickly transom first, still running WOT, but now pointing nearly skyward. (Wish I had the video camera). When she hit the water, the prop(s) grabbed, and luckily (or not) she made a violent left hand turn. I say luckily as his opponent was still by his side only on the right one.

Here things started to happen very rapdily, and I throttled way back and stood by, as this was only 100 yds off my port side. I am not sure what happened next but suffice it to say that either the kill switch was hit, or she ingested water, but when she landed, it was hard, very hard, no one on the throttles, and no one visible in the aft seats (Previous there were at least 4 that we could see). Port transom went under, then the whole transom, and then she shot back up and landed correctly, but riding mcuh lower than the norm.

All this within a hundred feet of the bridge pilings, and just off center of the through span. Now imageine 20-30 boats heading north at 50mph plus, with two or three of us heading south, and an "accident" taking up 25% of the pathway.

As I said we hove to and tried to hail them, but no response. One of the other runners, saw the air shot and came to a dead stop jsut ahead of them, and when no one responded, he hit the water and boarded the stricken vessel. We hailed the rescuer, and he indicated that yeah, they had an event, but had it under controll.

We stood by for a few more, until we saw the aft passengers stirring about. Not sure how bad, but the rescuers did tell us that at least two had broken bones, (arm and a cheek or jaw) and were quite rattled. Thank you for standing by, but we are good.

No life jackets, no radio, and plenty of drinking on the accident boat. Luckily it turned out as well as it did.

Be careful out there. And a big thank you to the Full Tilt Marine boat that stood by with us (one of the only go fasts to wait).

TomZ
Old 06-14-2005, 11:59 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Water on water, beer on pier....
Old 06-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I don't have any info that would allow me to directly challenge the author, I don't appriciate the editorializing. If the driver had been drunk, he would've been arrested. And he calls the poker runners arrogant. Was this on a fishing website?

Last edited by PatriYacht; 06-14-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

I was just passing it on....

Quick Reply: Potomac River incident 6/11

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.