Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Not Sure ABout this--Prostate Cancer ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97179-not-sure-about-prostate-cancer.html)

Poorsche 02-25-2005 01:29 AM

Not Sure ABout this--Prostate Cancer ??

I was told today that I've got prostate cancer--anybody willing to share experiences?

If this isn't right place or topic I'll delete thread--

candyman35 02-25-2005 02:00 AM

Re: Not Sure ABout this--Prostate Cancer ??

Sorry to hear this. I have two relatives that were diagnosed with Prostate cancer. Both cancers were discovered by a high PSA number and then confirmed with a needle biopsy. In both cases they opted for having the prostate removed. Both have had full recoveries with no recurrence of cancer. There are many options and thoughts about the treatment of prostate cancer. I would do a Google search and sit back for lots of reading. Hope everything works out for you.
Dan

Wasabe 02-25-2005 02:04 AM

I'm so sorry for the news. I don't know anyone that has had it. I wish you luck and a speedy recovery. If there's anything we can do let us know.

CigDaze 02-25-2005 07:10 AM

Sorry to hear man. :(
Best wishes and good luck.

jaybird 02-25-2005 07:13 AM

Sorry to hear the news. Best of luck for a swift recovery!

sy goldberg 02-25-2005 07:19 AM

I know people who have this cancer and they were treated by a doctor at JOHNS HOPKINS HOSPITAL in MARYLAND.I do not remember his name but he is the best doctor in the country for this illness.I would call the hospital as I am sure they could locate him.

Formula Outlaw 02-25-2005 07:20 AM

I know of two gentlemen who have had prostate cancer and survived. As above they opted for "surgical removal". It can have some "side effects", decreased sexual activitiy the worst, but that can now be overcome as I understand it.

As stated above learn as much as you can then try to find some people who have been through the same ordeal. Find a Doctor you trust.

Go into it with a "take no prisioners" attitutde. That is the strongest suggestion I could offer.

I go later this morning for my 35th Major skin cancer surgery, and while that is no comparison to what you have, it's still about attitude.

Good luck and stay strong. You can beat this. Russ

Tabasco Cat 02-25-2005 07:42 AM

My father was diagnosed with postate cancer 10 years ago at the age of 55. He had the surgury and made a full recovery. These type of procedures have come along way, thank god. I hope everything goes well with you.

Greg

sy goldberg 02-25-2005 07:57 AM

I will have the name of the doctor at JOHNS HOPKINS shortly.I know this is not a local hospital for you but it is only a short trip by plane and this hospital is the number 1 rated in the country.

wananewboat 02-25-2005 08:01 AM

My dad got diagnosed when he was 77. He was to old for the removal so he had 3D radiation at Emerson Hospital in Concord, MA. The radiation oncology department is run by Mass General from Boston. He had to go every morning for a ten minute treatment for seven weeks. It made him tired, but he got over it. His PSA level is still low. So far so good. I have talked to many people who were younger and had the removal and they are all doing well and everything still works. They all used a doctor at Mass General. If you need his name and number I could still get it.