Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore

Notices

Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore

Old 02-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore

Miller,
If that was the storm that blew thru about 5-6 years ago , I remember it well.
I was in Put-n-bay at the time. We heard there was a storm coming , saw the sky get dark, had just enough time to get the boats situated (inside "c" dock near the shore) and the next thing we knew all hell broke loose.
It reminded me of those "rescue 911" type shows were after something major happens everyone one just walks around in a daze. People just had this scared shocked look on thier faces. Watched a Bayliner cruiser get slammed against the wall tearing the side open. Saw a 50 Sea Ray get a hole punched into the side from landing on the poles, saw numerous boats with the cleats pulled out.
Then just as quick as it started it was gone. It was pretty scary.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Registered

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same storm, but if so I was at Gem beach without the boat that day with my girlfriend and it came FAST. we sat in my car and watched the waves and storm blow through. after it was over it was the ERIEest sureal calm I will never forget. We sat on thwe beach with our feet in the water. The lake was so calm that the waterline sat still on the beach. perfect glass.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 26scarab
Miller,
If that was the storm that blew thru about 5-6 years ago , I remember it well.
I was in Put-n-bay at the time. We heard there was a storm coming , saw the sky get dark, had just enough time to get the boats situated (inside "c" dock near the shore) and the next thing we knew all hell broke loose.
It reminded me of those "rescue 911" type shows were after something major happens everyone one just walks around in a daze. People just had this scared shocked look on thier faces. Watched a Bayliner cruiser get slammed against the wall tearing the side open. Saw a 50 Sea Ray get a hole punched into the side from landing on the poles, saw numerous boats with the cleats pulled out.
Then just as quick as it started it was gone. It was pretty scary.
Hey , we were there for that one too .... If you remember guys ... two days in a row like that ..... There were people real happy on the phone with their insurance guy ... and ones that were real sad ... on the phone with their insurance guy too !!!
Old 02-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
Last I knew Michigan had more SHOREline than any other state in the USA, with all the great lakes aswell.

So where does on the (coast) differentiate whether it's Offshore or not ?

Offshore Powerboats or OffCoast Powerboats ?

Seems like a silly argument, Any body that has spent
anytime in her wrath will know it's nothing to toy with.

Last I heard, back more in the 80's when it was more the
norm to race on the great lakes. It was supposedly the
most unfavorite Body of water to race due to unpredictable
conditions, You really have to have your wits about you!

With no disrespect to our ocean running friends.

Cougarman

Last I knew Maine had that distinction. Take a look at the Maine coast line some day and check out all the islands and inlets you will about chit yourself.

Jon
Old 02-25-2005, 02:17 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Ah, Jon.... Michigan has TWO (that's 2) penninsulas, remember your geography? Trust me, we have more coast line.

Oh, and since LOTO can get really rough and confused, are you running "offshore" there too???
Old 02-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Registered

Im still wondering why all the PUSSIES were too scared to run their boats in the Eastside Poker Run

exeption:
RHC
SKRAMER
Brad Geller
Crazy Timmay
Dave Leonhart
and myself

Donzichicks friend didnt think it was rough the day she went to the ER for stiches either after the 2 hour trip across Erie in 8 and 9 footers
Attached Thumbnails Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore-dcp_3455-small-.jpg   Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore-dcp_3457-small-.jpg   Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore-dcp_3458-small-.jpg  

Old 02-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Registered

I can honestly say I've seen thrills cleavers more times being behind him in my boat than behind him in my truck towing.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Registered

FYI, I copied this from michigan's web site

Michigan has the longest shoreline of any state - 2,242 miles and another 879 miles if islands are included. This equals the length of the Atlantic Coast, from Maine to Florida

OH!! and the great lakes are definately offshore boating
Old 02-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts

You underestimate ANY body of water and it will bite you in the a$$...plain and simple! From the limited amount of boating i have done around the great lakes, FL, and LOTO i can say that i have yet to experience "rough" seas in the ocean. We have been out there on the gulf side outside Clearwater when there were 6-8' rollers.....best time i have EVER had in the ocean!!! Running 65mph over the top of the wave and only the back 2-3' of boat and props in the water on the way down! AWESOME TIME!

Work experience i've had on Lake Mi was about 4yrs ago....running about 60mph in 2-4's and had a little rythim going. hit 2 waves and launch on the 3rd.....come down the back side of a wave on the landing.....it was going great till we got a rouge wave hit us broad side just as the boat was leaving the water. It tweaked us inthe air and the boat hooked bigtime to the right on the lading at full speed. My buddy was standing in the pass side bolster and almost got thrown out. I ended up sitting in the middle of the boat on the floor still holding onto the wheel with my left hand. When i pulled myself up i saw that i bent both throttle sticks at a 45* angle to the left cause if the impact that threw me down!!!
I can also attest to how fast the lake can change. gone from 1-3's to i dint know how big other then the 30' boat we were in couldnt get on plane cause the nose of the boat was piercing the face of the oncoming waves!!! one of my more scary times out on the water.....

Heres what the lake looks like right now. and below is what 5 1/2' waves look like. I know it dont look like it but go out there in a boat and see how big they feel!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Last edited by Wally; 12-28-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

those are 5 1/2 foot waves?

No wonder you guys think it's so rough over there!

Wally said something about a scary day in which a 30' couldn't get on plane cause the waves were so big .

I've had to work running straight down the trough for quite some distance more times than I can count to get back on plane over here.

believe me, most of those times I had no intention of being off plane...but when the boat is lifted amidships by a 6 footer you can guess how far the props are from staying bit. Sometimes you can get it back...beating the hell out of the sticks...or using the wheel pre-emptively to toss the boat abeam to try and keep the props closer to the water...although that sets you up for a big chine hit...unless you can wheel it with some power applied and scoot off the crest the other way before that happens!

This is usually, of course because it is literally not humanly tolerable...or you really are considering the boat's gonna break...so you can only keep so much speed.

Getting beat on from 3 directions with 5-6 footers and constantly trying to find the smoothest line from hole to hole. Only to inevitably get hammered by about every 3rd or 4th hole that there is no smooth entry into!

I'll tell 'ya....you need one helluva boat chick to tolerate that alongside you! They are rare. I've got one now who's almost more tolerant than I am of those conditions.

with everything going west to east...just remember where all that weather and water energy end up...that's right...at the east end of the Great Lakes!

Last edited by Rippem; 02-25-2005 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Boating on the Great Lakes, is it Offshore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.