Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Computer Help Needed 911!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97254-ot-computer-help-needed-911-a.html)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2005 09:58 AM

OT: Computer Help Needed 911!!!

I have a HP 8766C Desk Top Pentium 3 900MHz 40 G Hard Drive w/ Windows Me.

Upon boot up it went into Dos mode with a warning that the Hard Drive replacement is imminent. Backup all files immediately and replace the Hard Drive.

My question is: How do I Back Up the Hard Drive?

I went into System Tools where I was told I could find an icon there to do it, but it is not there.

I have been going File by File and saving things to floppies and CDs.

Is there an easier way?
Of course this will be the best time to upgrade to XP and I would like to cut down on all the extras that are floating around on this drive, so I don't exactly want everything going onto the new drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am not turning this PC off in fear it may crash upon start-up and I loose everything..... :( :( :(

Panic Button 02-26-2005 10:29 AM

Re: OT: Computer Help Needed 911!!!

You can always install a second hard drive and copy the files that way. Alot faster and easier, drag and drop...

gdfatha 02-26-2005 10:37 AM

I agree with Velocity..

Get a new 120 gig HD and install XP then transfer just the files you want.. I just had to do that...and saved about 7000 photos that are now on DVD.s..

t500hps 02-26-2005 12:10 PM

I can tell you to be quick. We lost all the photos of the kids for an 18 month period.....My wife still hasn't let me forget that one.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2005 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps
I can tell you to be quick. We lost all the photos of the kids for an 18 month period.....My wife still hasn't let me forget that one.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

T500hps,
The family photos were the first thing I copied to the CD.
Now I am just sorting through all my other files... :(

Semper Fi 02-26-2005 05:08 PM

Sharkey,
I just bought a I/O Magic portable storage device that holds up to 4GB (alot) You can buy them in all different configs......worth every penny to backup important data! I bought mine on sale for $99.00 at staples (after $50.00 rebate) , it's cheaper than online at their website.

You can buy smaller ones (that go on your keychain) that will hold 256MB/ 520MB for $29.00/ $49.00 respectively.

Here's a link..... (mines the one in the middle)
http://www.iomagic.com/Categories/results.asp?cat=76

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2005 06:50 PM

Thanks!

Actually,
I like the Drag and Drop idea. Now if I can get my daughters off their PC long enough, I have them Networked together, so I should be able to just transfer the files I want to save over to that Hard Drive at least until I replace this hard drive or splurge and get an entire new PC.

Anyone have thought's on HP's Media Center??? :confused:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2005 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by lchornet
IMHO, stay away from HP computers..

Ouch!!!
Oh well......too late. :)

My 1st PC was this HP with few problems. This is the first major repair it has needed. I went and bought an HP/Compaq last year and the kids have been pounding away on it without any troubles since.

Now I went ahead and bought the HP Media Center Photosmart PC tonight.
The cardboard box had a little tear in it so asked the salesman to see if his manager would discount it. He did. Then I told them to throw in another hard drive and I would take them both tonight. Done deal.... :drink:
I guess I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the weekend.... :D :D :D

Semper Fi 02-26-2005 09:18 PM

IMHO, stay away from HP computers. Its not fun having to ask them over and over again what they said because of the heavy Indian accent. At least with my current Gateway, I get American tech support.

I have a Gateway and I sometimes when I call support, I get someone with the heavy accent in India. :eek:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-26-2005 09:34 PM

BTY, how ever many hours you think you will need to redo the computer to the way you want, double it :drink: :drink:

Yes you are right! Especially with all this Media stuff I have to play with now! TV connections, Surround Sound the Photo editing options..... :eek: :eek: :eek: