Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT; Mom passed away yesterday (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97389-ot%3B-mom-passed-away-yesterday.html)

Playn 02-28-2005 07:10 PM

OT; Mom passed away yesterday

After suffering with MS for about 30 years my Mother passed on unexpectedly yesterday two weeks shy of her 78th birthday. She had been unable to take care of herself for many years and was tended to single handedly by my 83 year old Father as he only accepted minor help from family and neighbors as needed. She was very active in her younger days, she was an excellent swimmer and an incredible pianist (had received a scholarship to a renowned music school) until her debilitating disease took that away from her. Over the last several years she had become blind, was unable to eat so was on a feeding tube, was unable to move around on her own, or do any personal care for herself.......yet she always maintained an incredible outlook on life. While she was limited in activity she enjoyed listening to cassette books and hearing her Grandchildren and the neighbors kids as they visited...they always brought a smile to her face. She had commented recently to my wife that she had so much to live for and enjoy. It's hard to believe that she is no longer with us but we have comfort in knowing that she is no longer having to endure the daily pain she suffered with for so many years and is in a better place now enjoying the things she once was able to in her younger days.

I'm sure my Father will have a tough time adjusting to being without his wife and caring for her, but he has always been very active restoring tractors and believe it or not building spec homes (he is talking about starting another one). Our hope is that he will be able to find some sort of activity that will help fill the void in his life and will be able to regain some sort of quality of life for himself.

Throughout both of their lives they have been a shining testimony of what parents and spouses should be. Through better or worse, sickness and health they were there for each other..without complaint, each and every day for 59 years of marriage.

Take care Mom, enjoy your newfound life. We love you and miss you. :(

Keith, Sandi, Jenna, Kelli, and Cailyn

dhlaw 02-28-2005 07:14 PM

Re: OT; Mom passed away yesterday

Sorry for your loss.... Stick by your dad, the transition will be tough.

thedonz 02-28-2005 07:19 PM

I too am sorry for your loss. As brett says, stay close to your father to help him through this

chuck21401 02-28-2005 07:20 PM

Sorry to read about your mother's passing. 59 years of marriage is something very special.

Ange 02-28-2005 07:21 PM

Keith, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. It's great to hear of a couple that had a marriage of their duration. I know your mom is enjoying all the activities that were taken from her for so long. Take care.

Racegirl3 02-28-2005 07:21 PM

Sorry for your loss. Its never easy at any age or any circumstance. :(

bajabob38 02-28-2005 07:22 PM

May your Mother R.I.P.

SpeedGirl 02-28-2005 07:22 PM

:( Sorry for your loss....

TomFTM 02-28-2005 07:23 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss . like the people above stated, stay close to your dad , he is going to need the support . Tom

Rippem 02-28-2005 07:24 PM

Very sad. :( I just had a patient the other night with MS. It's a terrible thing. My condolences, and hopes she finds new comfort, freed from her disease.