Locking differntials for trailering? >

Locking differntials for trailering?

Notices

Locking differntials for trailering?

Old 03-04-2005, 03:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Re: Locking differntials for trailering?

A good quality limited slip by auburn or eaton will work fine, and if you keep the same gear its an easy swap.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a Detroit in the rear w/ no noise and no problems in the snow. I run an Arb in front.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

For towing (and the associated tongue weight on the rears) I prefer a decent limited slip diff, not a locker. It's a wonder that the axle shafts hold up with limited slips, much less a true locker.

I think lockers are the BEST units you can get for hard offroading.
And GREAT for parking lot pull-offs.
And BAD for towing.

As was mentioned, there is NOTHING wrong with a factory style clutch diff. Auburn is a superior unit to the GM Posi-Trac.

And don't let anybody fool you about a limited slip not pulling its weight. If you ease out around a corner on a slippery road, the inside wheel may spin. So what. Big deal. On the same corner, if you stomp it off the line, the load on the spider gears will stuff them back into the clutch plates and you'll light up both rears no prob. That's how they work. The more load you put on the spiders, the harder they bite into the locking plates. No magic. No positive locking (which can snap your axles right where the splines stop) which eats up your tires.

Auburn diff.
or
True Trac (a much more aggressive unit, and not actually necessary).

mc
Old 03-05-2005, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

As has been said already, don't do the Detroit locker unless you offroad heavily.

That being said...you wanted inexpensive and functional. Go with a Lock Right. Unlocks when turning and works great. We sell a lot of these to guys that lift trucks at our shop and run them mainly on the street. I ran one for about 40k miles on a 1995 Chevy I listed.

Buck
Old 03-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go factory rebuilt limited slip from Ford, and never think about it again.........
Old 03-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by License To Thrill
Buck I bought a 2003 Dodge 3500CTD. As far as I know it's stock. Did it come with a limited slip diff. from the factory? I only tow 5000lbs. Would I need Lock Rite?
Good question. Might have to contact Dodge with your VIN, but if it doesn't have one, the Dodge factory should be nuked................
Old 03-05-2005, 04:31 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Hang Time 27
Go factory rebuilt limited slip from Ford, and never think about it again.........
yup. I have limited slip in my 03 F250 4x4 and pull almost 9K, rare that I need to throw in 4x4. My old Ford had manual locking hubs and the most I would do is put in low 4x4 for the gearing, the truck was a DOG. The one thing Ford does right is limited slip, when I plow all 4 spit roosters at once.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by License To Thrill
Buck I bought a 2003 Dodge 3500CTD. As far as I know it's stock. Did it come with a limited slip diff. from the factory? I only tow 5000lbs. Would I need Lock Rite?
I would be surprised if a truck like that doesn't have one. Like was mentioned, get your VIN and call a dealer to find out though.

As for needing one with the amount of weight you tow....that would really depend more and traction issues than anything. Are you having any trouble pulling up wet ramps right now?

Buck
Old 03-05-2005, 07:14 PM
JnT
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at a Detroit Locker Tru Trac for my 85 GMC 1500. It has been a yard truck/boat mover for several years but gets stuck on wet pavement.Who has the best prices on lockers?
Old 03-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

A Detroit Locker and a Tru Trac are two different beasts.
A DL is a ratchet lock diff, and when it locks, it locks. The outside wheel will ratchet ahead of the inside wheel and make a clicking sound.
The TT is a gear locking diff. Friendlier to the tires and such, but will still lock up.

Gleason Torsen is a worm gear locking diff. Fantastic street car (roadrace) diff. Still locks all the way.

For towing, I prefer a diff that doesn't actually LOCK. When you are towing, you have a far increased weight on the rears (from tongue weight) and you are loading your parts much heavier. Just like a headgasket will blow during detonation and save your motor, a clutch type limited slip will save your axle shafts while still providing the additional traction you are seeking.

If you are towing, and need to start off with one wheel on ice and one wheel on pavement, a clutch style limited slip will "one wheel it" if you baby it from a start. But if you start with a good dose of juice (which shoves the spiders into the clutch packs) the pavement wheel will drive you out of the ice. Just gotta see in your mind how they are working.

Course some people gotta have lockers. And then they get to brag about how badass their truck is because they have gone thru five or six snapped axle shafts...

Many trucks do NOT come with limited slip diffs. In fact, more of the are shipped with open diffs than you'd think. The tag on the diff cover will tell you if it is a limited slip or not. The VIN usually doesn't tell you. The data tag axle code usually does though (in the glovebox, door jamb or under hood).

Quick Reply: Locking differntials for trailering?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.