Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Parking the boat for a season or two >

Parking the boat for a season or two

Notices

Parking the boat for a season or two

Old 03-06-2005, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Parking the boat for a season or two

I know what you mean about the gas, I buy about 8 five gallon cans at the store and put it in the boat at the dock, $1.75 is better than $2.30 at the marina. Also I now go to areas on the lake and hang out instead of running all day, that has cut back my fuel by about half. Also save your gas receipts and send them in to the state to get your state road tax back, VA is 17cents a gallon, trust me it adds up.

If you really enjoy it don't park it keep going, we are only on earth for a short time make the most of it.

WILL
Old 03-06-2005, 01:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

I second the sentiment about just being smart about it, use it as a retreat for you and your family. instead of eating out at places that are designed to make their money during the boating season, pack food to take with you.cold wings are awesome, so is an italian sub. there is a place here that sells beer by case cheaper than anyone else spend more time goin slower and enjoying the scenery, and maybe only go on saturday, instead of both days. knowing that you can go out and enjoy it for a few hours is worth it. I thought the same thing a few times, made me wonder if I was growing up and looking at things more responsibly? nahhhh just being fiscally responsible is cool...my .02...Rob
Old 03-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your not going to use it.............Sell it and you'll have more money in the bank.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:34 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought about doing that....ONCE....But I'm in the frame of mind of "I could die tomorrow". I'll hold back on the long full throttle runs and beatin' the daylights out of the boat to keep costs down but I won't stop hitting the water.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every boat I have ever had was or is for sale ALL the time. Somebody gives me my price it is gone. No regrets, just on to another opportunity. I get as much enjoyment out of having one tore apart and rebuilding it as I do running them.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Registered

I agree with just cutting back on the WOT runs or only going out once a week instead of twice. I would be sick if I was unable to use my boat for an extended amount of time....winter is long enough.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Sell it then.
I agree.
I guess it depends on your situation....Personally I would sell it.....for me, it is too costly to keep it and pay the mo. payment, pay insurance, pay storage, and then let it depreciate more!!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Registered

I know exactly where you are coming from. I have to work hard for my money as everyone does. I am really debating on buying a used boat with twins. Now with gas prices going up; what do i do. I would barely be able to afford this other boat(which needs work) and cost twice as much to run.

But it comes down to I don't do drugs, run around chasing women(well not a lot of women), drink or smoke. But I definately have a boating problem. I love offshore powerboats. It is so bad that the first five or six times at the ramp at the begining of the year the hair stands up on my arms when I fire that pour 454 up.

Sorry for the long explination. I guess you just have to make up your mind what is more important.

plus none of my friends have boats, so I can't bum a ride from them
Old 03-06-2005, 04:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

I guess another way to look at it is this. Think about the amount of money you would spend on a couple weeks vacation for you and your family. If you decide to go away, there will be gas, hotel, meals, destination, road hazard(flat tires,breakdowns,etc) if you fly, plane tickets again hotel rental car. what it boils down to is you're going to spend money which ever way you choose. A family of four for a two week vacation is going to run in excess of 3 grand, so its a wash dollar wise, for that same amout that would be a good 8 sensible weekends on the water locally barring repairs... food for thought...Rob
Old 03-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I myself am in a situation where the ~$6000 cash money I'll spend for 4 months of boating (slip/fuel/incidentals) would be a real boon to me NOT to spend this year, as I have a kid in college and am trying to amass some property in a hot area before the interest rates go up. I need everyday cash-on-hand to pull this off, it's the right thing for me in the long run.

That said, I live through seven months winter here (total no-boating season) and the thought of floating/running my boat is what keeps me going.

The boat would not be for sale, even if I didn't run it. I would probably run it a few times off the trailer, just not have the full-blown season I usually have. I could not replace it 12-24 months from now for the $$. I got a stupid price on it, and a 4.5% rate. The chances of that happening again are slim at best. To let it go for the temporary boost that I need, would be foolish.

The reality is if I want to make a killing on a couple deals in the next 6 mos. to live better long-term, I too have considered biting the bullet for a season.

I wouldn't be too f'kin happy about it though!

Quick Reply: Parking the boat for a season or two

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.