Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Calooshatchee River .........does anyone here. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97748-calooshatchee-river-does-anyone-here.html)

enticer 03-06-2005 08:57 PM

Calooshatchee River .........does anyone here.

boat or live on this river. And if so, where on the river?
Thanks

Formula Outlaw 03-06-2005 09:57 PM

Re: Calooshatchee River .........does anyone here.

I've been across and back the Okeechobee Waterway twice. A unreal fabulous trip. If you get the chance to do it, DO........just make sure all the locks are operating. Once in a while one goes down for repairs.

I've been up the river a couple of times on day trips.

DanB 03-07-2005 06:04 AM

I live on the river......up by rt 31 bridge/ franklin locks. What do you need to know?

salesmanship 03-07-2005 08:35 AM

I live on a canal between the Cape and Mid Point bridges. Do I win anything?
TS

Ben@SRP 03-07-2005 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by salesmanship
TS

Terry,
You crack me up... And no, you don't win anything... :D

Ben

KNOT-RIGHT 03-07-2005 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by salesmanship
TS

Yes a new Nortech. :D
Last year my wife and I flew down there in february to look
at Waterfront . We were at Century 21 on Del Prado blvd.
When all of a Sudden this massive Nortech went buy on a trailer. I looked at my wife and said "This is my Kind of town." :eek: propertys up another 20 percent down there.
Beautiful river! Maybe someday I will have the house on that river with a Nortech in the back. :cool:
Gerry

Wildman1 03-07-2005 01:15 PM

Guys I have the townhouse but the canels are to narrow for a 38ft boat. Need to be on a 200ft wide canel in order to have big power behind the house. Its still paradise down here in Cape Coral. This is going to be the next Ft Lauderdale in the next five years. The value of my townhouse has double in two years. The real estate is going out of site here in Cape Coral.
Buy now and make a ton of money in a short time.

salesmanship 03-07-2005 02:54 PM

Hey,
Can you guys that are here post pics of your boat?
Love to know who's who.
TS

enticer 03-07-2005 08:13 PM

Lookin to buy a condo or townhouse with a dock.........and came across the River thing.......which looks nice to be there out of the main body of water. That way you can choose what you want. Just getting a feel for the area before driving down to visually look. I am more aquainted with the east coast.....so the west coast thing is new to me. Lost a time share in the Keys in the mid-eighties. Tried looking there, but the prices are way, way, way out of sight...unless you want to pitch a tent and then it costs alot to spend the night ont he ground or even in a slip

hugetime1 03-07-2005 08:35 PM

I have a place just off the river, we need to do some boating some time

The Menace 03-07-2005 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we are. We will be on the Fort Myers poker run. See ya there.

Keep it on the lift behind the house in Estero Bay in Bonita.

hugetime1 03-07-2005 08:40 PM

terry, new biz is getting up and running, hustler is sold, i think. starting to sock away loot for a new 39 footer.

The Menace 03-07-2005 08:44 PM

To answer your question there are a lot of places to go for lunch and dinner. This area does not have a good boater's guide to boating but there are many waterfront places.

Wildman1 03-07-2005 08:52 PM

Enticer: Get hookup with a realestate guy. My wife have this guy e-mails us 20 different condos and townhouses up north. I cut them down to 5 and met up with him when we got down here. That way saves time. The prices of realestate is determine by how far you are off the river. Closer to the river the higher the price. Also depends on how many bridges there is. No bridges and the price is high. One thing to remenber is make sure you get a wide canel as the lift is only allow to go out 25% of the canel width. Thats why you see most of the lifts on an angle or sideways to the seawall. One other thing check the water depth some canels are low on depth and you can only go out at high tide. Thee are just things to check before signing on the dot it line. Hope you make it as I need some big power boating buddies. I have a 380 PQ Avenger with 500efi's I am wanting to bring down. There is also a real nice marina call Mid-Island family boating center right in the middle of town. He has cover rack storage with the capability of racking 38's. I have already check into this place. Real clean and the ability to lift 38's off your trailer. He quote me $384 a month with all the in and outs I wanted. Plus he has all the cleanup racks and flush out equipment right there. Hopes this helps you some more.

hugetime1 03-07-2005 09:25 PM

wildman is right, just buy something there and you won't get hurt, I study realestate markets all over and buy alot of stuff, I think your best bet in the cape is a nice home in the cape with good proximity to the river in the 400-450 range with a pool. do an intrest only, rent it for 12-1300 per month and let it set for 2-4 years. in 4 years you should make around 300k minimum. it is really that easy, I have done it more than once.

boatfreak 03-08-2005 04:12 AM

I had my Thunder down there for a few weeks in January this year and had a blast. I have a good friend that is into real estate and owns a house on Whiskey Creek just off the river. The biggest thing I had to get used to was the speed limits. It does take a while to get to open water. As it is every time I take my boat down there it was colder than hell when I was down but we still had a good time. As these guys have said there are a lot of places to go by boat . I'm just lucky I didn't run into hugetime while I was down there in his backyard. :D

The Menace 03-08-2005 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Wildman1
There is also a real nice marina call Mid-Island family boating center right in the middle of town. He has cover rack storage with the capability of racking 38's. I have already check into this place. Real clean and the ability to lift 38's off your trailer. He quote me $384 a month with all the in and outs I wanted. Plus he has all the cleanup racks and flush out equipment right there. Hopes this helps you some more.

Better jump on that $384.00 per month. That is cheap. Wiggins Pass Marinia is now going "Dockamimiums" for big bucks. Rack storage in the beach area is $512.00 and rising as other marinas are closing. It will be to the place soon that unless you have your own doxk and lift you will be out of luck. Very few GOOD ramps around for larger boats off the rivers. The water on the island and intercosatal waterways are too shallow.

enticer 03-08-2005 09:41 AM

When you entering the river from the west. Does a no wake start immediately or is up the river so far and at what point?

The Menace 03-08-2005 10:35 AM

There are a series of small uninhabital islands on the north side of the mouth of the river all covered with mangroves. As you follow the river up (also following the markers) they neck down to a narrow striaght where the NO WAKE zone begins. Once you pass that area it is pretty much open. Respect the markers as you are traveling into a marina or restaurant.

Have you decided on the inside or outside? I know I mentioned the Green Flash but Cabbage Key is a great watering hole. Average bar food but a real great party center.

boatfreak 03-08-2005 10:46 AM

I'm sure these guys can tell you a little better but here is what I saw. As you head up the river there is a small island that is a no wake zone. When you get past the island you get a 25 mph zone (in channel) for a few miles then another no wake zone. This one is about a half to three quarters of mile long and is a little fishy. These are called manatee zones but there just happens to be a nice set of condos in the middle of the zone. I am afraid I'm not much help past the midpoint bridge. That short run from downtown to open water takes about 30-40 minutes.

enticer 03-17-2005 09:07 PM

One more thing...............seafood..in Cape Coral area. We are going down in 3 weeks and want to know of an ass kicking crab shack or good seafood restaurant
If any knows of the Rustic Inn in Dania near the Ft Lauderdal Airport.........great garlic crabs...blue, golden, dungeness and snow. Something like that. http://www.crabhouse.com/