Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Trailer Tires? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/97767-trailer-tires.html)

OldSchool 03-07-2005 07:17 AM

Trailer Tires?

I was down working on my boat this past weekend and noticed that I probably need new tires. The tires are Load Star H78-15ST's and they aren't bald, but it seems that the are wearing funny (scalloping) on a few of them. Has anyone else had this problem and what causes it?

The tires can't have more 4000 miles on them.

I've heard in the past that people really like the Goodyear Marathon radials. Are they better than the ply tires?

Tim G. 03-07-2005 07:29 AM

Re: Trailer Tires?

Triple axle right???
That's probably just from tight turning in a small space... like at the ramp or in the yard...

Skip on the Carlisles.. I can tell you that from experience... :mad:

t500hps 03-07-2005 07:47 AM

Craig,
There's another thread about trailer tires in Technical Q&A. Everyone recommends Goodyear Marathon. The original Carlisles lasted 2,000 miles and blew on mine.

OldSchool 03-07-2005 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by t500hps
Craig,
There's another thread about trailer tires in Technical Q&A. Everyone recommends Goodyear Marathon. The original Carlisles lasted 2,000 miles and blew on mine.

Thanks Russ, I'll check out that thread.

Yes, it is a triple axle trailer Tim G.

Audiofn 03-07-2005 09:06 AM

I need some for my trailer as well. I unfortunatly only have a dual axel trailer so I need to make sure that they can really carry the load.... Last tires I got were some no name deal, not cheap but they were excelent on the road and still look new. Unfortunatly they will not fit on the new rims I got.

Jon

Sydwayz 03-07-2005 09:10 AM

I second Goodyear Marathon, but I have Road King LT truck tires on my current trailer which are doing well (replaced one due to a cut, and another due to one side balding caused by a bad wheel bearing; the other 5 are orginial). Jassman always runs Cooper Discoverer(s) on his trailers. I would consider the same. Make sure you call Outlaw Motorsports. They can get everything.

East Coast B 03-07-2005 12:37 PM

Scalloping effect... possible cause is bent axle. We had a bent axle and the scolloping effect wore the tires through in a matter of a minimum miles. The affect seemed to pattern a progressive larger flat spot diminishing through to smaller flat spots. The wheel wants to steer out, but is then pulled back inward and then process repeats itself, eventually wearing the scalloping look. Not to say this is your problem.... We replaced the axle and all was well again. It was an eagle trailer that came with the boat. We ordered the next larger capacity axle for the replacement. Good luck!

boatnt 03-07-2005 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by License To Thrill
I got a great deal on Firestone ST Radials. So far no probs. I agree with Tim G stay far far away from Carlisle tires they're junk. Here's a tire you may not have heard of but they have a pretty big following;

www.maxxistires.com

are the bias ply Carlisle tires also junk or just the radials???

Chris288 03-07-2005 01:40 PM

I too agree,, Carlisles are JUNK !! one spare isn't enough when they are on your trailer.. !!

wwwTOPDJcom 03-07-2005 05:22 PM

I have a Carlise spare I hope I never have to use it, The Marathons are great though