Notices

Ft. Meyers Trip

Old 03-07-2005, 03:08 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ft. Meyers Trip

So... Sarasota was a little to close to Tampa for a good cruise so my friend and I are setting our signts on visting Ft. Meyers. It looks like about 137 miles from my Marina in Palm Harbor (Clearwater, FL) and the City of Ft. Meyers Yacht Basin.

Knowing the manatee zones down there, where can I actually use the intercoastal or would it be better to shoot right down the Gulf to Charlotte harbor an in.

BTW - I figured 6 hours with screwing around, it this right? I cruse at 45-50mph.

Thanx again!
Old 03-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Registered

Default Re: Ft. Meyers Trip

You could use the ICW or run on the outside, depends on weather conditions. There are several passes that enter & exit the Gulf along the way. West Marine has a new chart of the the area fromTpa Bay to Ft Myers, real handy to have.
Have fun
Old 03-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

yeah, got that. Just wondering how bad the manatee zones are. Wouold like to do an intercoastal cruise, but now wake is a long haul.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Registered

The longest "manatee zone" runs alongside Siesta Key. It's about 25 minutes long, more or less. Once you get past Venice most of it is either 25 mph in channel (I do 35/40 and never get hassled) or "safe operating speed". There are a few places you have to slow down, marina's or where the water narrows, but for the most part it's not too bad. Gulf is going to be kicked up until probably late Thursday or Friday.

All in all running the entire trip inside from say the Sunshine Skyway bridge, should take you about four, maybe five hours. That's including the manatee zones.

Be sure to hit "Grandma Dot's" on Sanibel Island at the marina. Best grouper sandwich on the planet Earth. Sanibel is basically the last bit of land on the west before you hit all open water.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The intercoastal is a good ride. Some little stops on the way for a bite to eat etc. Cruising will take about 4 + hours plus with the Manatee. Stop at Captiva and go to the Green Flash for a grouper sandwich.

The Gulf is usually like glass in the morning. It starts to kick up a little as the day progresses. I go out and walk the beach every morning.

The marinas up town are pretty nice. Dock on the east side of downtown and you will be in stumbling distance to all the HOT nightlife. Lots of little watering holes and restaurants. Everything starts late.

Have fun and watch the markers.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Would the Ft. Myers City Yacht Basin be considered the "east" side of town?
Old 03-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

Been thru there. I have a 302. Gulf IMO is pretty calm. I'm used to the Atlantic Ocean and NY Harbor. I'm sure it does get rough, but I have not seen it yet.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Registered

Hey Shooter, Guess your a neighbor now. Glad you made it down. Dave Warden
Old 03-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

yeah, luv it down here. I travel enough into the north to get my fill of snow and ice. We should plan a get together at a bar sometime.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Registered

Sounds good. A new resturaunt down at Home Port Marina is opening soon. Same place as the old Sundance Grill was. And also have been hanging around the Tarpon bar, Snookers. Dave

Quick Reply: Ft. Meyers Trip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.