Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many parents let their kids take the boats out? >

How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

Notices

How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

Old 03-10-2005, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

I have been around boats since I was only a couple of months old. I was taking the family tender out when I was 5 b myself. My opinion is if you teach your kids how to operate a boat at a young age and with the right boat it is the greatest thing. I grew up spending every summer living on our boat. It was the best memories I hAve as a child.
Today if I ever have kids I will buy my son or daughter the same boat I learned on. A 10ft Zodiac with a 5.5 hp outboard. Big enough to handle some waves yet slow enough that they can not get into too much trouble.
You really have to teach the kids about safety most importantly. I learned the hard way about showing off with friends when I was ejected out of the zodiac while jumping cABin cruiseer wakes. Alway respected the water from that day on..... Operating a boat is a fun thing but it is also dangerous and your children need to know the difference and be aware of what can happen.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At 10 and 12 I bought my kids a 14' aluminum boat with a 9.9 Tohatsu on the back. The ran this for two seasons. They would tag along and tie up with us or go explore the shores and creeks. I would let them wander Cumberland when we were out on the water. They stayed in radio contact and had a dog for supervision. Never got into any trouble and they were very safety conscious. After two seasons I upgraded them to a 18' ski boat with a 302. I would allow them to go as far as the radio would reach and they would check in every hour. They have always followed safety rules and never given me cause to worry. I let them run my boat on occasion but never more then 5 to 10 minutes away and they are not allowed to get into boost unless I am on board.

Only give kids as much responsibility as then can handle and they will be fine. They do most of their own maintenance and chip in for gas. What could be better than to be 12 or 14 and have your own boat with a thumpin stereo, full tank and ski pylon?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:06 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have been boating since I was born. When I was about 14 my father flipped me the keys to the sailboat. It was a Hinkley (very expensive boat) and said why don't you go to the moring and bring it in. I was PUMPED and definatly nervous. I spent time getting everything set up and got it in fine. As time went on it was like dad was just there for the ride and when we went on long overnight trips I was the only person that he could sleep when he went down below and I was up for the over night sails. I started to use the boat myself when I was about 16 I think. The problem now is if I had kids they would be in a boat that can go much faster and has a LOT more power. I guess every kid would be different and you would have to know your kids. The real problem that I see is the insurance. I have a hard enough time getting it for myself.

Anyone know what happened to that Cig that the kid took out and crashed it?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Registered

BAd Dog

I remember when my old man bought me my first boat too. The deal wasif I got good grades for 2 years in a row he would buy a ski boat. That was a 16 ft Wahoo with a 70hp Yamaha. He bought the boat at a marina that could not sell it and the motor seperatly. We then rigged it in the driveway and I used it every day for 4 summers. Then we got a 16 donzi with a 305 also. That was the best boat I ever had since. Went 70mph never would break down. And it only took about 1 hour to wash and wax.

Why can't things be that simple now?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:31 AM
Registered

Two kids almost 16 and 8, will be before the season hits, 8 year old rides, 16 has been able to clean the Sonic and Nortech for last 4 years, and has been able to take out the 16 foot skiff and Jet skis but I don't think I'll ever let them take out the big boats. I don't think I could insure it if I let him drive!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 06:32 AM
Registered

My son is 11 and I have been allowing him to take out "his" boat with adult supervision. He can handle the boat alone but I cannot imagine what would happen if the marine patrol would stop him. It would likely make the news and Department of children and families would be involved for some sort of child endangerment action. These situations just did not happen when we were growing up. Today you have to fear the governement if you give your children more freedom that the "average" person thinks they should be allowed. It's a shame.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Anytime he wants!
Attached Thumbnails How many parents let their kids take the boats out?-2002_0712_161636aa.jpg  
Old 03-10-2005, 07:07 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

My father has had bassboats since I was born. At 16 and a junior in high school I would come home, hook up a 12 month old 19 ft bassboat w/ a 175 (65 mph) to a 18 month old F150 and drive 30 miles to the river. We would stay out til dark then come home. I know my dad had to sweat it, but he let us go. The worst thing we ever did was pull it too far onto a beach and waves washed over the back and put a couple gallons on water in the fuel tank! Thank god it had a trolling motor and onl needed to go 2 miles to the ramp.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

My brother and I had been boating w/o supervision since we were seven and eight. A 13' or 15' Boston Whaler was a good baby-sitter/supervisor, and we were both in our parent's boat since we were toddlers. Taking the hot-rods out un supervised, no. I was in college, my brother in high, when we took the 18' Donzi out unsupervised. My brother let the waves filled up the engine with water, had to be towed in, and that was the end of his unsupervised boating, in anything more than a Whaler.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:28 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm 3rd generation boater, so been on boats since inutero.

My father bought me my own boat. It was only a few grand and very simple maintenance. This is the way to go. I had a blast on my 13 whaler. Pretty much went where and when i wanted. My father trusted me because he had taught me to respect the water. And he warned me of making the run to fire island w/ a bud when i was 15. He was right... overheated, blew a head gasket, cracked the heads and had to get towed back to babylon. I had never been to FI on his boat, so I had no idea about the eel grass.
Attached Thumbnails How many parents let their kids take the boats out?-whaler2.jpg  

Quick Reply: How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.