Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many parents let their kids take the boats out? >

How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

Notices

How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

Old 03-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

I think I was 13 or 14 when my parents would let me take the 13' whaler out. My dad would take me and my buddies to the boat ramp and drop me off in the water before he went to work and pick us back up on the way home. I did that as many days as my allowance and buddies allowances would let us!!!!!

I still have the 13' whaler, it just has a 70 mercury and clever prop on it now!!
Old 03-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 51 Posts

I love reading these posts. Most of my friends parents thought my parents were nuts for letting me take the boat out at such a young age, but the respect I have for the water was ingrained in me from my father and that respect has always kept me safe. It was a great way to grow up, I only wish more boaters would have the same respect for the water and other boaters. I think that would make crowded weekends much more enjoyable.

My kids will have the same responsibilty offered to them so long as I know they can handle it.

Funny thing, the repect I had/have for the water kept/keeps me in check much more than any fear that my father would be mad if I damaged the boat. I think a lot of people have that aspect of boating backwards.

Boats can be replaced.............PEOPLE CAN'T. Sorry for the rant Boat safely.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:53 PM
Registered

My dad started me out with a jet ski when I was 15. I had been driving the 22ft cuddy cabin on my own since I was 10 though, but local law would not let me drive a pwc before 15. I Was allowed full access to the boat when I turned 16. For the last three years (age 21-24) I have been using my girlfriends parents 223 cobalt with a 454 mag. Jaclyn (my girlfriend) stepfather never uses the boat, so one evening at dinner he stated that the boat really needs to get used. He then looked at me and said why don’t you take Jaclyn out. After the first trip I had free reign of the boat and shortly after his Porsche, though with the Porsche I had to trade the keys to my Z3.

I think it is all about respect, I would never abuse his property, I take better care of it than he does, and leave it cleaner than I found it. Plus he knows how liability conscious I am. I was raised to understand the consequences of my actions.

I remember my first punitive punishment. I was in kindergarten and I bit my cousin on the shoulder and took a small chunk of skin. I had this key chain collection that I just loved. My mother made me give half my key chains to my cousin. That stung and made me really think before I took a bite out of someone.

I have always been the nerd though when it comes to others property. I will readily thrash my own stuff at the slightest prod, but others property, never!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Gearcase
Platinum Member

lets see 18 sanger pickle fork hydro v drive LS7 BIG BLOCK 100mph 17 years old. the old man trusted me. lucky no wrecks. did hurt some parts though. the old man was like patton though. no respect no deals. ya gotta be around it you gotta insure it game on. will i do the same for mine will see!!!!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:04 AM
Registered

Grandpa always had a lake house so wave runners were the first thing at age 12. Next came a sea do boat at age 14. After having that for a couple years, we quit going to the lake that much. At age 16 dad wanted to start going back to the lake and didn't think the sea do boat was very safe for Lake Texoma so he bought me a 27' Baja with a HP 500. Well, one thing leads to another and at age 18 dad buys me a 38' Lightning with 575's. After two summers and several poker runs and seeing how SICK cigarettes are, we start looking and next thing i know, we are ordering a new Gladiator w/ 750 sterlings. Here's a pic of the new Gladiator just after getting out of the paint booth.
Attached Thumbnails How many parents let their kids take the boats out?-gladiato.jpg  
Old 03-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was always the designated driver, since I was too young to drink... and now I don't drink because I know how fun it is to drive drunks around anyways when I was little I had a 11, and a 14foot jon boat.. then an 18 foot cobia with chrysler outboard... most reliable boat motor I have ever seen... then at 15 I got an 18 foot donzi regazza with a 4.6 v-6.. and at 16 got to take control of dad's boat... 27' Excalibur at the time.... we lived on the water most of my life and I have a lot of sea-time, both sailing, and powerboating.... I would drop dad off at clubs and then go pick up my friends.... most of my friends knew boats so dad trusted us... 16 years old 27' 540ci 12-71 blower 99mph....I built the motor why can't I use it? my dad knew that I knew more about boats than him... and I was a realllllllly good kid for my age..... I have never drank, smoked, or done any drugs, Eagle Scout, straight A student, and am still in school, college now and have perfect attendance since kindergraden!!! what a loser huh?

anyways I will probably let my kids take control, but they will basicall have to be perfect.

Ernie
Old 03-11-2005, 09:15 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

My relative started his son young as well.

I was by their house the other day and they still have his original boat from '87.
Attached Thumbnails How many parents let their kids take the boats out?-130red5a.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mavrick10
Grandpa always had a lake house so wave runners were the first thing at age 12. Next came a sea do boat at age 14. After having that for a couple years, we quit going to the lake that much. At age 16 dad wanted to start going back to the lake and didn't think the sea do boat was very safe for Lake Texoma so he bought me a 27' Baja with a HP 500. Well, one thing leads to another and at age 18 dad buys me a 38' Lightning with 575's. After two summers and several poker runs and seeing how SICK cigarettes are, we start looking and next thing i know, we are ordering a new Gladiator w/ 750 sterlings. Here's a pic of the new Gladiator just after getting out of the paint booth.
Where do you do most of your boating now? That is a sick looking cigarette when are you taking delivery of the boat?
Hunter
Old 03-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Registered

Cool Re: How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

Well, on my 6th bday I got a 12' python with a 40 on the back. I think it ran pretty close to 50mph. My dad had a matching 24' python with a 468cid and twin turbos, it was a jet drive, but it would still hit high 70's. Well dad dies when I was 7 so I got the big one.. kept it till I was 20. It was great durring high school, it was alwasy full of cheerleaders. The boat had 74 hours on it when I sold it, and I had blown 4 motors. Now im 26 and im ready again, Im thinking cat.....
Old 03-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Registered

39NAS T,
I do most of my boating on Lake Texoma. The boat
is in its final stages as we speak. Hopefully it will be done by
the Sarasota run b/c we are planning on going. After that we'll
drag it back to Texoma.

Quick Reply: How many parents let their kids take the boats out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.