Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Audio Guys I need cable help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/98007-audio-guys-i-need-cable-help.html)

mr_velocity 03-10-2005 01:59 PM

Audio Guys I need cable help

Getting everything together for the intercom. I am using a stereo aviation system (flightcom). I am changing the phono plugs that are used in aviation with Neutrix D-series & RC series connectors and plugs, gold plated naturally, on the headset side. On the back of the intercom unit is a standard 25 pin din connector. I need a decent 5 conductor sheilded cable (2 conductors for mic, 3 for audio) to run from the intercom box to all the headsets.
Any recommendations? Will probably need 150' of cable in total.

The cable is the only thing that is left to buy. So far I have just under $500 invested in a stereo intercom with audio input and 6 headsets.

fund razor 03-10-2005 02:07 PM

Re: Audio Guys I need cable help

I have what you need but not enough to do 150 feet.

It's "two pair" balanced audio install cable. You would have one extra conductor, but the cable is easy to find.

It would be two shielded twisted pairs each with a "drain" or ground lead that is not jacketed.

Wish I had 150 feet, I would give it to you.

fund razor 03-10-2005 02:09 PM

Maybe Audifn has some from pulling balanced signal cable on his jobs.

Maybe say, from an Elan music input wallplate situation, or a long shielded stereo run.

fund razor 03-10-2005 02:10 PM

I'll see how much I have left when I get home.

If I have enough, I'll post a pic so you can see the cable and the jacketing.

mr_velocity 03-10-2005 02:14 PM

thanks

fund razor 03-10-2005 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor

It's "two pair" balanced audio install cable. You would have one extra conductor, but the cable is easy to find.

It would be two shielded twisted pairs each with a "drain" or ground lead that is not jacketed.

No problem.

Not sure if this post was clear.
6 total conductors.

Finding 5 conductor shielded wire will be tough unless the cable was designed for a shared ground lead.

mr_velocity 03-10-2005 02:23 PM

No problem.

Not sure if this post was clear.
6 total conductors.

Finding 5 conductor shielded wire will be tough unless the cable was designed for a shared ground lead.

Something like this?
http://www.allkindscable.com/wespen360shi.html

fund razor 03-10-2005 02:27 PM

Precisely, except mine is Capital brand, rather than West Penn.

But the same specs.

I think that the stuff that I have is even 18 gauge like your pic.

mr_velocity 03-10-2005 02:59 PM

Precisely, except mine is Capital brand, rather than West Penn.

But the same specs.

I think that the stuff that I have is even 18 gauge like your pic.

Now that I think about it not sure if that will work. I need 1 sheilded pair for the mic, however I wouldn't want to use 1 pair for the audio. The L & R channels should probably not be twisted together, right? So I would need 3 pair, 1 for the mic, 1 for L and 1 for R. Then would would I do with the audio (ground) since the headset is 3 wires for the audio. I would connect the sheild at the intercom side only but then I would have two grounds for audio at the headset (one wire from each of the pairs), if I connected them together I would probably have one heck of a ground loop.

Do I run 2 cables, one for audio and one for mic?

The Neutrik connector is a 5 pin connector.

Audiofn 03-10-2005 08:47 PM

Is this going to be wire that runs through the boat or does it have to be flexible as it is going up to the head sets? If going through the boat then I would say use Cat5. The way the twists are gives you a very good shield and it is actually very good at sending sound through as long at the power is fairly low as it will be going to head sets.

Other then that I am fairly sure that I have a box of cable that I keep wanting to toss but keep saying some one is going to need this some day...... I will be at my shop on Sunday and I can see if I still have it. I think it is twisted pairs but I am not 100% sure. I do know it is shielded. I think there are 6 wires plus a drain. If you do not find anything by then then give me a call on Sunday and I will take a look (978) 985-0639

Jon