Notices

Clear Lake Boating

Old 03-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Lake Boating

Hey all, I am looking at purchasing a home in clear lake, it is located in an area called Lake Cove. I have never taken a boat back in the channel, but it is the bridge closest to turtle club what size of boat can i get back there? I saw a scarab back there that I didn't know, but I believe that it was a 43, I was told that sometimes if conditions were just right when the tide was high that he couldn't get back home, later I was told that this information was incorrect. There is apparently about 18" of good depth through the channel to get back there at low tide, but this bridge presents a problem, I am considering a black thunder or getting something in the 40-45' class with a nice cabin, this may be deal killer on the home to me. I would like some information if you don't mind.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Clear Lake Boating

That bridge is LOW! The best thing to do is watch for the tide extremes, (a lot this time of year!) and take a boat there and measure it. A forty footer is pretty tall...

I've heard of some guys getting stuck in Taylor Lake for MONTHS waiting for low enough tides to get their boat out. And Taylor's bridge is a lot taller than the one by the Turtle.

See ya on the lake!

Jim
Old 03-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a large Scarab back in the Lake Cove addition (subject area). The Scarab belongs to a Houston policeman. Going into the neighborhood from NASA Parkway, it's in the first channel on the right side. The bridge going into there is very low as Jim said, so choose the tides carefully.

I disagree about Taylor Lake though. We've lived on Taylor Lake for over 20 years; there are times of the year when the water is too low, but that's Dec, Jan, etc. after a strong "Norther" blows the water out of the lake. First: I wouldn't go out when it's that cold and second: when it's blowing that hard. I've never seen it cause a problem for "months".

Taylor Lake is a more desirable area to live.

Last edited by Dueclaws; 01-08-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDingy
Hey all, I am looking at purchasing a home in clear lake, it is located in an area called Lake Cove. I have never taken a boat back in the channel, but it is the bridge closest to turtle club what size of boat can i get back there? I saw a scarab back there that I didn't know, but I believe that it was a 43, I was told that sometimes if conditions were just right when the tide was high that he couldn't get back home, later I was told that this information was incorrect. There is apparently about 18" of good depth through the channel to get back there at low tide, but this bridge presents a problem, I am considering a black thunder or getting something in the 40-45' class with a nice cabin, this may be deal killer on the home to me. I would like some information if you don't mind.
What country is this cove in
Old 03-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Texas: "It's a whole other country"
Old 03-14-2005, 09:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Why do you have tides in a lake????
Old 03-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clear Lake, where it's neither clear, nor a lake! Clear Lake and Taylor Lake are tributaries to Galveston Bay, and are subject to strong tides. Like Dueclaws was saying, the winter months can get very interesting!

Dueclaws and Dingy, flag us down sometime. Look for the little red Thoroughbred called Seain' Red. Would love to meet ya!

Jim
Old 03-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We live on Clear Lake, near Clear Creek, get with Jim or me and we'll get you out for a tour sometime! Lake Cove access is very low, keep looking around the lake for better access, there are some nice townhomes available with slips on Davis Road in League City - PM me for more info.

Keith
Old 03-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Registered

krakmeup, we have looked in taylor lake the only other home with lake access that is in our price range it wasn't built too well. The thing is this home is GREAT perfectly laid out etc. We don't want to spend over about 475-500.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In that price range you have lots of options - take a hard look around, unless you want to stay in Harris County and pay higher taxes Clear Lake separates it from Galveston County....

Hope to see you out there -
Look for us, 2005 Superboat 30 Y2K "Once Bitten"

Quick Reply: Clear Lake Boating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.