Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Got my new insurance quote, Want to buy a Motion? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/98145-got-my-new-insurance-quote-want-buy-motion.html)

Lenny R 03-17-2005 11:39 AM

Re: Got my new insurance quote, Want to buy a Motion?

Read the next issue of Extreme Boats Magazine, then decide if you want to help with the problem..... Stay tuned

berns29scarab 03-17-2005 11:46 AM

i have a 2004 BMW R1100S Sport Tourer...full coverage is $483 per year, 2001 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 Diesel $1050 per year, my 98 29' scarab with twins was $1200 per year replacement cost of $60K and 300k liability. Looking a t a few different boats 95 35' Lightning with twin 600hps 1500 year, 30' spectre with 300 o/b's 3300 a year...insurance is nutz. doesnt make a differnce who can and cant afford it. big problem is paying for other peoples claims. i have never in 21 years put in an insurance claim for anything but yet i'm gettin pounded

rainmn 03-17-2005 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lime Disease
Try to get insurance on a crotch rocket. IF you can your looking at 5k insurance on a 10k bike At least the boat ins.is
high dollar coverage. No cat in my future and I want one bad.

If you are paying $5K insurance for a $10K bike, you are getting a royal screwing. It's been a few years now, but my last bike was a GSXR-1100. Full coverage, year round, cost me about 600 bucks, give or take.

Donzi Corleone 03-17-2005 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
When you get your Annual premium that is for "365 days". Wounldn't it be nice if you could have fire and theft all the time which is reasonable and then pay liability for the days you use the boat. If your premium is $12, 866 for 365 days that's $35.25 per day. But if we paid for actual time. 52 weekends (usually boat is broken at least one weekend per month) = 40 weekends (80 days). Then maybe 1 weekday every other week (way more then I use it)=26 days = 106 days. Which is $121.38 per day. I don't mind paying, this is an expensive hobby. What kills me is when the boat is down for weeks at a time getting work done or 4 rainy weekends in a row and you pay all this money for nothing. It would be nice if you could pay for what you use. I know i'm dreaming but this would be great.

And, I thought I was the only one that did that kinda math.

rbtnt 03-17-2005 09:54 PM

If you think the cost per day is bad. Take your premium and divide by the time you put on your hour meters every year.

Sean H 03-17-2005 09:56 PM

40 bucks an hour for insurance... i can deal with that, don't really have a choice.....

berns29scarab 04-23-2005 11:59 AM

get in touch with Bob Lewellyn at Worldwide Marine...i'm 38 years old, home owner, ZERO points, ZERO claims, purchasing a 98 30 spectre with merc 300's and am under $3K a year

frequentflyer 04-23-2005 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by mopower
Probably because they don't want to insure cats :(

Yep. I think that's it. I was once quoted 7500 for my 98' 25' Powerplay Open Fisherman which is a V hull. Problem is it has T-300's. They just didn't want to insure me obviously.

Tres 04-25-2005 12:26 PM

There will be more complaints as the year goes on and as policies come up for renewal. I understand fully that the insurance rates are directly hurting the powerboat industry as a whole, and expect that more rate hikes are on the horrizon. I started my high performance school to help get a grasp on what is happening, I had boats in my shop that just sat because the insurance was too high or they had none. I am trying not only to help save lives but cost as well. Many dont feel they have to take the class because they have already had a boat in the past, well bad habits are hard to break and there are a few things that many just dont know.Everyone that has now taken the class feels it was well worth thieir time and money to get the proper education. We are now sponsored by Lifeline and Racing communications. Thanks for all your support.

TopSpin80 04-25-2005 12:33 PM

Tres.. I am interested in taking the class for the classroom part. My doctors are not allowing me in a boat until my back heals properly.. is there a way I can take the class over the summer and then take the "on the water" part sometime in the future?

Ernie