I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap! >

I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap!

Notices

I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap!

Old 08-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap!

Ok, I've been trying to sell me boat for some time now with no luck. This past Friday I listed the boat on ebay with a 35k "buy it now" price. I provided my e-mail address in the ad in the event somebody wanted to contact me after the auction had ended. So, I received this e-mail today:

Hey Tim, I’m interested in your boat assuming it’s as advertised, runs good, is clean as the pics show etc. Would you consider the 35k delivered to SF Bay area Northern California? If so, let me know and I’ll step up my research. I have the cash so we would just have to figure out how & when to get the boat & title here and money to your bank. Let me know if you are interested & we’ll talk further.

Bob Sherman

It's just over 2,000 miles and 31 hours one way out there. Assuming $2.50 a gallon for diesel, I'll cost me about $400 to drive out there with the trailer. Less than that to come back dead head. I might be able to get a break on hotel stays too. I have two weeks of vacation that I had no use for this year. The cash price that he's offering me had a little padding in as I figured somebody would some how want to beat me down on my price. Basically, for what he is offering me, I could pay off the loan and haul the boat out there and break even. I'm very happy with that. My fear is that this is a scam. I'm figuring on having him close the auction with the "buy it now" and then pay pal me the $500 non refundable deposit and then wire my bank the remaining ballance. Once the bank says that they truly have the money, I would over night him the title and then the boat would leave my door step. Does that sound fair? How would you guys approach this sale? This my first large item sale and I really don't know how things are going to work.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...isco&2s=ca&2z=
Old 08-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap!

I would ask him for a phone number or to call you. You could get a pretty good idea of how serious, or real he is.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would give him the title when you get there and the bank confirms that you have the money. What does he need the title for without the boat, its not like he's going anywhere. I have been following your effort to sell your boat and I know it has been tough. I would give it a shot, just be careful. Were there any other bids?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
I would ask him for a phone number or to call you. You could get a pretty good idea of how serious, or real he is.
What he said!!

It's amazing how many people have emailed me about my engines that I have for sale. I respond by telling them to call me or send me their phone # and I'll call them. That seems to weed them out!!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Registered

Cord, First off, I'd get his number and call like TSG said. Make sure he is what he says he is. I wouldn't use the 'BUY IT NOW' as it will cost you more in FleaBay fees and Final Value Fees. And the BUY IT NOW feature/aspect will serve you no guarantee or assurance that a deal will be made. Get a deposit $500 and the rest wired, pull the ad off EBAY (boat sold locally ), make sure it all clears and then go for road trip
Old 08-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Registered

I would sign the boat over to him upon delivery. The boat wouldn't leave my driveway till the $$ was in my account. I hope it works out for you. Depending on how serious he sounds, maybe he can foot the gas bill, and you'll offer your time for free? Certainly cheaper than hiring someone to do it, and you'll have a bit more $$ in your pocket.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Registered

I would not leave WI till I'm paid in full. What happens you get out there and he says "PASS" ?

Offer to split his airfare here to view at your house, if no go, offer to pay his arifare complete.

Wire money to your bank before you leave. I would also be careful of cashier checks too; I would not take one.

If he is serious, he will go with your plan.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I wouldn't deliver the boat either, if he want's it have him make the arrangements to come get it.
Registered

Tough call... If I was buying, I would NOT give you the full amount until I saw and test rode the boat.

Here is my two-cents... Get his phone number, call him, and get more info (address, etc.) Have him send you the $500 down payment. Drag the boat out there. Give him the boat and title when he gives you the rest of the money. This might happen at his bank.

If he doesn't buy the boat, keep the $500 for towing expenses. Make sure he knows that...

Good luck...

Last edited by Clay Washington; 08-01-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

What they said... Make sure the funds are secured BEFORE leaving your home.

It seems strange that he does not want to come see the boat first. I don't think I would buy a boat without seeing it up close in person.

Quick Reply: I Need The Boards Advice ~ Asap!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.