Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cigarettes~Which model has the largest cockpit? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/98436-cigarettes%7E-model-has-largest-cockpit.html)

Harper220 03-16-2005 09:31 AM

Cigarettes~Which model has the largest cockpit?

Looking to get my father into a different V? Currently he has a 36 Outlaw w/575's and truly loves it, but not the 575's efficiency. On a good day it will run 78-80 mph.

Which Cigarette model has the largest cockpit area? It must have a sizable cabin also. The cockpits in the Outlaws are huge and he's grown accustomed to that. He admits that he does like the Cigarettes, so that's a start.

Although the Gladiators are awesome, the cockpit won't cut it.
I was thinking the 38 Top Gun with 525's might fit the bill. Also, how fast is the Top Gun with 525's?

BLee 03-16-2005 09:38 AM

Re: Cigarettes~Which model has the largest cockpit?

Originally Posted by Harper220
Although the Gladiators are awesome, the cockpit won't cut it.

Oh but the cabin is sooo spacious! Couldn't he learn to live with the cockpit? :rolleyes: :D :D

I'm not quoting speeds. I'm sure some barstooler will have seen 100mph on a 525 gun if I do. :rolleyes: (84-86)

P.S. Gary, I am not including your rocketship in the calculation. ;)

offshoredrillin 03-16-2005 10:05 AM

When I was looking at Guns and Tigers, I was told by a few people that the gun has more room than a Tiger. The additional 4 ft is under the dash of the tiger.

the Way Hugh at Offshore Perormance explained it to me was this. In the TG, you can have people sitting on the bech in the back and a person standing behind driver and Passenger seats, theorretically 7-8 people. In the tiger the room behind the front seats is smaller. If a person was seated on bench and someone was standing holding backrest, they would have a facefull of butt:D.

Sydwayz 03-16-2005 10:06 AM

Its not the 575s that are un-efficient. Its the hull that your father's are in. That boat can be a slug compared to others with a step or two.

38 Top Guns are running anywhere from 85-90 mph with 575s with little or no modifications (intercoolers, lighten the load, raise the X, right drives, right props, on fumes, 95 is attainable). The 42 has a big cockpit. The 38 is not much smaller due to the fact the 42 has a very long dash. You may look into a few other boats such as the 42 Fountain, 38 Formula, 37 Active Thunder for cockpit space. I have run a 200 mile Poker Run comforably with 6 people in my 37 Active Thunder, and could have fit 1-2 more females.

Wait until Lucky Strike Jr. catches this thread. He will bust out a protractor and laser measuring device and have your specs to the nearest 1000th of an inch.

Harper220 03-16-2005 11:44 AM

575's need 92+ octane and step or no step still drink a lot more than 525's on 87 octane... I've heard the 525's are pretty underrated, closer to 550 hp. Match the 525's with an efficient step hull Cigarette and I think that would be a winning combination.

Von Bongo 03-16-2005 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Harper220
575's need 92+ octane

91 according to my shop manual. :D not that it really matters but posted 91 is the right number.

Chest Rockwell 03-16-2005 09:59 PM

A 525 powered Top Gun is hard to beat. Tough to compare the fit and finish of a Baja to a Cig let alone the performance.

ktron 03-17-2005 06:15 PM

Top Guns have a very good sized cockpit. If you are Poker runnin you go with 5 so everyone has a spot and if you are just cruzing with friends you can easily have 8 in the cockpit.

The TG is a great setup with the 525's. You cannot beat it for reliability and performance. I am currently running 87MPH (w/525's) on GPS with two in the boat and a half tank of fuel.

Great Boat!