Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Hopefully good news on stolen boat >

Hopefully good news on stolen boat

Notices

Hopefully good news on stolen boat

Old 03-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help, I was robbed by a broker, what should I do?

Go get the boat!!!!!!! As long as you have the title you are ok.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:21 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tom i will give you a call sunday, i am getting ready to go the lake and will be back around lunch on suday.. call you then...

Sean
Old 03-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by otis311
You are absolutly correct. I hated like hell to take back my TopGun from the "new owner" But, I was the legal owner and was responcible for the note on it. The new owner went to court to get the boat back, but the judge ruled in our favor. Its your boat and you are liable for it. Go get it before he hits someone or ruins the boat. He has no right to insure it because he legally doesnt own it. Your responcible.
Otis311, I called the police before going to court, they said it was a CIVIL matter, even talked to the DA in Austin and he said the same. Parks and wildlife put some pressure on J.P. (he got nervous and made 2 payments and then stopped.) when they said the statute of limitations (2 years ) had run out> This guy knows how to side-step the law. Thanks, Tom Richter

Last edited by TRichter; 03-18-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Go get the boat.

Call the local police before you do so and let them know the boat was stolen and you know where it is so your going to pick it up.

You have the title, you have the boat, end of story.

I'd stop calling the new owner so he doesn't hide it somewhere.

Have you reported it stolen? I wouldn't tell the police any more than that. Let the owner that bought the stolen property try to talk his way out of it.

You're being too nice.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:32 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

If I understand this correctly....You are still making payments on a boat you haven't seen in 2 1/2 years? You hold the title and law enforcement says it's a civil matter?
I have to say something sounds odd.....and that it would become a civil matter when I backed up to that boat and someone tried to stop me.
Russ C.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
If I understand this correctly....You are still making payments on a boat you haven't seen in 2 1/2 years? You hold the title and law enforcement says it's a civil matter?
I have to say something sounds odd.....and that it would become a civil matter when I backed up to that boat and someone tried to stop me.
Russ C.
Russ, It's a civil matter because I let J.P. pick it up to sell, it wasn't stolen, according to the laws in Texas.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fund razor
Usually I am suspicious when somebody joins and posts the first thread about a problem with somebody.

However, they don't usually give their name either. So I guess I think Tom is on the up and up.

Welcome to OSO. Go get your boat back. Then post a pic of you on the water in it. good luck.
Thanks, Fund Raiser, Didn't know about this site till a guy in Miami named Gino who owns a big cat, told me about. Met him on E-bay (Bought a knock-sensor from me) Tom
Old 03-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Registered

Depending on how you explain it to the police, and their understanding of the timeline, you will get different answers regarding Civil or no.

It really does sound like a civil matter. But the fact that you have the title means that you will not be prevented in getting your boat by law enforcement unless you have to break laws to get it.

The reason that it is a civil matter is because the boat was not transferred to the current user via direct theft. He didn't sneek in your yard in the middle of the night. He broke a deal.

Let's say that you start making payments on a car but then you stop.
The bank has the title. They own the car. They have the right to come get it. But you have NOT committed grand theft auto.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TRichter
Thanks, Fund Raiser, Didn't know about this site till a guy in Miami named Gino who owns a big cat, told me about. Met him on E-bay (Bought a knock-sensor from me) Tom
Sounds like our friend LubeJobs.

OSO is a great site. Again, welcome... you just gained 10,000 friends with boats.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Call The Police And Go Get Your Boat Ypu Have Title Your Good To Go

Donz Jr Mike

Quick Reply: Hopefully good news on stolen boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.