Truck Hitch Info Needed

Old 04-03-2005, 07:40 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Truck Hitch Info Needed

10k socket and 10k ball and pull.

Delete this thread incase your insurance agent reads this also.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stecz20
you had better trade that truck in, it wont be enough to pull that set up.if you dont have at least a dually your pissing in the wind.
I will be upgrading hitches, I felt it was the right move before this thread and you have all reinforced that.

The truck has plenty of power. With an aftermarket hitch I don't believe I will be "pissing in the wind".... A dually is NOT necessary... But I will take your coments with grain of salt becuase most posts on a Sunday morning at 4:13am are following a few to many....
Old 04-03-2005, 09:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Delete this thread incase your insurance agent reads this also.
If the bases are covered why should I be concerned?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaneil
I will be upgrading hitches, I felt it was the right move before this thread and you have all reinforced that.

The truck has plenty of power. With an aftermarket hitch I don't believe I will be "pissing in the wind".... A dually is NOT necessary... But I will take your coments with grain of salt becuase most posts on a Sunday morning at 4:13am are following a few to many....
Now that there is funny^^, plus it's Stecz, no one listens to him when he is sober
Old 04-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Mine is bolted to the frame from GM, .

and to the bumper with the v bracket that wraps under the receiver tube itself, if it's the stock GM one.

and yes, Troutly the Titan is more substantial in appearance than the XDR. Though at 12K towing max., and $150 for the XDR, I am comfortable and not having to screw with the 2.5" drawbars for my other trailers.

Who's to say? What independent lab has done failure analysis on the two competitors we speak of with similar ratings, installed on trucks? It's much more than just how much steel is there. For example, the Titan receiver tube itself hangs lower from the frame, thus not providing as straight a pull (as in a straight line continuation of the frame itself) on the frame rails. My XDR drawbar tube is higher as installed, (closer to the bumper, more inline, or closer to the same hieght
as, the frame rails) wouldn't you say there is an advantage there in the distribution of energy input by the load, how it is taken into (shared with) the truck frame? It's not just about carrying toungue wieght...it's about the pull, and the dynamics of how that pull is loaded into the truck frame.

Also construction, the cross-tube on my XDR extends through the frame plates 1.5" on both sides. This would give more oppurtunity to catch a pull-back/pull-through failure of the crossmember, by inspection, before a disaster.

Again, it doesn't do alot to have a monster hitch and not bolt it to the truck with monster hardware, double overkill (see my earlier post). This adds alot of inherent security to the joining of the hitch and truck frame which has also been a point of failure for many. Why would you bolt on one of these hitches with the cheesy supplied hardware?

I've put some thought into this also.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an XDR for my 2500 Avalanche for the peace of mind factor. The truck is rated for 12,000# and my boat and trailer come in between 11,000 and 12,000. The hitch plus a ball mount, ball, and locking hitch pin all rated at 15K#+ was $211 shipped.

Check here - http://www.etrailerpart.com/Receiver...mctrucknew.htm
Old 04-03-2005, 01:58 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Now that there is funny^^, plus it's Stecz, no one listens to him when he is sober
Never seen him sober.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

a good set up will be with the titan class v, titan drop neck and a machined ball rated higher that 15k, my ball is rated at 30k machined and has a larger thread shank than most, then if you need to tow a smaller trailer you can get a sleeve that will fit the smaller ball drops but use the larger one for the boat.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

yea, I have a solid drawbar and big shank machined 24K ball also. I use it for a dumbell when I'm lifting in the garage.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey "Soontobecigneil"

Make sure the "reciever" (the part that the ball goes on) is a solid one and rated for 10k!!! I didn't even know they made one "solid" instead of hollow ones like 99% of all the others out there, until I saw mine in the tractor supply store!!

It sounds like you a GLH have a thing against dually's???? or at least pulling big a$$ cigarettes with dually's!!!!
He pulls with a single rear wheel excursion (last I heard) and you a single rear wheel chevy.
You are correct your truck will do the job, a dually just makes it easier.... I hope you don't have to deal with a cross wind! Been there, done that.......But, not with a Cig!!!

Congrat's!!! on the new ride!!!! Heck of a set up!!! People must be dieing to see you!!

Quick Reply: Truck Hitch Info Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.