Notices

Truck Hitch Info Needed

Old 04-02-2005, 08:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Truck Hitch Info Needed

As several of you know I am nearly ready to close on a 2000 Tiger. I'm flying to Virginia this Tues with waterheater and another friend for the survey and sea trial..... If all goes well hands will be shaken and boat will be mine.

My question is regarding the hitch on my tow rig. The tow rig is a 2004 GMC 2500 Diesel. The hitch states the following: Max Trailer Weight - Weight Carrying 7500LBS, Weight distributing 12000LBS. Then there is Max Tongue Weight - Weight Carrying 1000LBS, Weight distributing 1500LBS.

I'm assuming the "Weight distrubuting" is either a 5th wheel or sway bars? Is this true. I will not be using these options so it wouldn't seem to me the 7500 limit would not be sufficient? I was recomended today to replace the stock hitch arrangement with an aftermarket bolt-on hitch?

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Truck Hitch Info Needed-mvc-017f.jpg  

Last edited by bajaneil; 04-02-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Re: Truck Hitch Info Needed

Just peel the sticker off and play stupid, that's what I did and it hasn't broke yet!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 08:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 518 Posts

Check this thread:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...vy+hitch+balls

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...vy+hitch+balls

Sway bars and WD hitch work together, but are not the same thing. I have a full WD hitch setup, with surge brakes. (Does your trailer have surge brakes?) You cannot use anti-sway bars with surge brakes. You CAN use WD bars.

Your stock hitch is NOT enough. You need to upgrade to the Reese Titan-V (there is another nice Class-V hitch, another make, cheaper, which I just bought, have yet to install.) I can tell you, with a 37AT and full fuel on an aluminum trailer I am at 12K lbs. You are going to be OVER your tow rating, so kiss insurance goodbye if you have an accident. Sorry, its just the facts.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bajaneil
As several of you know I am nearly ready to close on a 2000 Tiger. I'm flying to Virginia this Tues with waterheater and another friend for the survey and sea trial..... If all goes well hands will be shaken and boat will be mine.

My question is regarding the hitch on my tow rig. The tow rig is a 2004 GMC 2500 Diesel. The hitch states the following: Max Trailer Weight - Weight Carrying 7500LBS, Weight distributing 12000LBS. Then there is Max Tongue Weight - Weight Carrying 1000LBS, Weight distributing 1500LBS.

I'm assuming the "Weight distrubuting" is either a 5th wheel or sway bars? Is this true. I will not be using these options so it wouldn't seem to me the 7500 limit would not be sufficient? I was recomended today to replace the stock hitch arrangement with an aftermarket bolt-on hitch?

Thank you in advance.
Say, go to www.thehitchshop.com and under most popular hitches, you will find the XDR series. 15k w/c and 16k w/d. Buddy of mine did this change out on his 2004 crew short 2500hd w/ a duramax to pull his 47 Fountain triple! Hope this helps, Wrink
Old 04-02-2005, 09:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
Say, go to www.thehitchshop.com and under most popular hitches, you will find the XDR series. 15k w/c and 16k w/d. Buddy of mine did this change out on his 2004 crew short 2500hd w/ a duramax to pull his 47 Fountain triple! Hope this helps, Wrink
Thanks Wrink....I'm going to need one of those!!!!

Old 04-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

put the XDR on my HD Crew the day after I picked it up...

big backer plates top and bottom, gr. 8 bolts, lockwashered and double nutted. None of them give you real hardware, spend the $10 for good chit.

I specifically didn't order trailer tow because now all you get is the cheese hitch...everything else is already on the truck.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I believe reese supplies them to GM Neil, your going to be hooking up to a Myco, your biggest concern will be if your truck has the back up plug, dont panic if it doesnt, you need to switch the plug though when you go to back up as the brakes stop from going into reverse unless you have the plug, it can be intimidating at first but you should be fine, mine towed like a dream, granted I have a 3500 dually but its lowered so I lost some of my capacity. Is yours a long bed w/ extended cab or crew? if so the wheelbase should be fine. If all goes well, your about 4and a half hours from me, stop by on the way up 95...Rob
Old 04-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Reese may supply the hitch but that doesn't mean it's worth a chit!

They get the rating they do out of it by bolting it to the bumper also.

spend some time on truck and RV forums for the horror stories and pics associated with that stock hitch at or near it's (relatively low) max.

The truck frames don't fail...but the hitch does!

I wouldn't trust it beyond 7000lbs. period.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you had better trade that truck in, it wont be enough to pull that set up.if you dont have at least a dually your pissing in the wind, and you will need at least a class 5 hitch. anyone that tells you other wise is a fool. you can waste your time and put the w/d numbers together all you want. your only fooling yourself. a lot of fellas on this board with f-250s and w/d systems and they are towing 38 foot rigs. they will tell you its fine. they are out of their minds. get the right set up, do it right cause, god for bid you get into a wreck or hurt someone your insurance will never cut you a check, and you will find yourself signing over your house. do yourself a favor and do it right, you will sleep better at night..

Last edited by stecz20; 04-03-2005 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
Reese may supply the hitch but that doesn't mean it's worth a chit!

They get the rating they do out of it by bolting it to the bumper also.

spend some time on truck and RV forums for the horror stories and pics associated with that stock hitch at or near it's (relatively low) max.

The truck frames don't fail...but the hitch does!

I wouldn't trust it beyond 7000lbs. period.
Mine is bolted to the frame from GM, as I stated i was only going by mine. Mine could have been special ordered as I bought the truck with 30k miles on it, it also has 8.1 and allison tow pkg.

Quick Reply: Truck Hitch Info Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.