no speculation on why but bad wreck

Notices

no speculation on why but bad wreck

Old 04-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes.

I just realized that since I live and boat on the Chain, that I will probably see this guy again out on the water, in another boat. Being out and sharing the same waters as this guy is a LITTLE unsettling. I sincerely hope that he has learned from this event.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: no speculation on why but bad wreck

Last I heard, Sunsation USED to glass the hull and deck together, but no longer does in their "current" lamination schedule? I think they use something called plexus which is like a glue. Don't know that it is anywhere near as strong as glassing the hull.
I know of one other sunsation hull and deck separated in the same spot. Not enough glue??
Their boats were always VERY well built - just hoping quality isn't sacrificed for quanity and a name. After all, these are "World Class Offshore" Powerboats.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Plexus is insanly strong and EXPENSIVE stuff
Old 04-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal

DaveSunsation,

Thank you for the great communication,follow up and closure. Your actions and response is class act that only benefits our hobby-Keep up the good work.
Glad that no lives were lost in this unfortunate event caused by some out-of-control clowns- A Wake-up call to many.

Happy Safer Boating to all
Old 04-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bigwavz
I am a Chain boater. I have a 36 footer. I live 15 minutes from the Chain. There are plenty of places where I can top out around 85 mph. Yes it is shallow and you better know where you are going. It offers me something that only LOTO can match: Lots of places to meet up with other boaters, raft together and a few cool bars to hang out at.

As you may or may not know, Lk Michigan has limited access on the western shores. It also can be a nasty place to run hard. It has very limited places to raft up in protected waters. I go there 2-3 times a year because you need to pick your days.

If there is anybody who would like to experience a day on the Chain, let me know. It really isn't as bad as most people say it is. I have been boating there for 16 yrs and love it.
Exactly! Ran my 32 BAJA there for 2 seasons and a 272 BAJA for one more...never hit bottom ever, just lost about 1' worth of paint off the lower part of the skeg.
I'm thinking of bring the 42 up there for a little to get the kids used to powerboating.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Registered

GoCiggie,

You're very welcome, whether news is good or bad it's always important to due whatever due diligence is neccessary. With out that, you can never correct or right whatever may be wrong or right.

Racer X,

Nothing is etched in stone at this point, I'm sure it'll take time for the owner to work things out, one way or the other.

Audio,

It was extremely important to us and as I mentioned above it was neccessary for our own piece of mind as well as the consumer, thank you.

Baby317,

The plexus application is every bit as strong if not stronger than laminating the hull and deck together. If there was a question mark we'd never have gone to it. Jeopardizing quality over quantity and a name is something you’ll never find here inside of Sunsation. I'd like to extend an offer for you to visit us or anyone for that matter to see first hand how we built our products. It is a very exact process, every boat we build is monitored through 11 separate procedure books with over 1000 check & balances that coupled with Wayne's attention will never allow us to sacrifice quality or integrity.
Our corporate mission statement is to "exceed your expectations", we live by that.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DaveSunsation
The owner, who was in his second Sunsation has no ill-will towards Sunsation and asked Wayne to build him another boat. We feel while the incident was indeed very unfortunate and fortunate no one was hurt more, that it was indeed a lesson well learned by the operator and more respect due these caliber of boats.
Glad that nobody was killed.

Sorry that this guy had to "learn his lesson" at the expense of your boat's reputation and our insurance companies' confidence.

While it is impossible to legislate common sense, "accidents" like this one inspire lawmakers and treehuggers to try. And that in turn reduces the freedoms of those of us who would not push our watercraft beyond the limit of the laws of physics.

Are we doing a good enough job as a "sport" to spread the word about high speed turns, especially with but not limited to, stepped hulls?

(My insurance company wants to know.)
Old 04-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Registered

By the way DaveSunsation.... for the record they are beautiful boats.
Outstanding.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSunsation
The owner, who was in his second Sunsation has no ill-will towards Sunsation and asked Wayne to build him another boat.
He should stick to riding lawnmowers in a fenced in yard. Irresponsible and immature people like this give our sport a bad image.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
However lets call a spade a spade. This guy has NO business owning a boat. He has shown that he has ZERO responisbility. Any person with common sence would not be going that fast in the area were he was. Add to that the hot dogging around spraying other people. Why didn't he learn his lesson when he had his accident the other year? He has not learned a damn thing if you ask me.... He is bad for the sport and I hope that NO ONE will insure him. He has hurt not only himself but all of us by his childish behavior. Accidents happen yes, but this guy is a accident waiting to happen and IMO he still is.

Jon
You go, Jon.

Quick Reply: no speculation on why but bad wreck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.