Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Bravo trim cylinder anodes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/102912-bravo-trim-cylinder-anodes.html)

skijeta 05-11-2005 07:32 AM

Bravo trim cylinder anodes

I have a 93 baja 260 with a 454/bravo 1 setup. I see alot of the newer Bravo trim cylinders have and anode on each. Mine does not have any. There are 4 shallow holes in each trim cylinder cap but there does not seem to be any deeper threaded counterbores to bolt the anodes to. Does this meen that I do not need the anodes on there?

I do have severe corrosion taking place on many places of the outdrive and this boat is trailerd and used in fresh water only. My next issue is to fix the mercathode system that is not hooked up when I bought the boat. Thanks for the help!

formula31 05-11-2005 08:36 AM

Re: Bravo trim cylinder anodes

#1 Fresh water. Use Magnesium anodes only.

#2 The cylinder end caps can be drilled and tapped for the anodes. Ive done many. Sierra 18-6089

#3 I have also added the horseshoe around the front of the drive. Also Magnesium. Sierra 18-6240

#4 The anode plate above the prop. Merc #76214A6 Magnesium.

If you need a wiring diagram for the Mercathode, let us know.

skijeta 05-11-2005 03:24 PM

The trim cylinders have 4 holes each but no threads. They are very shallow holes. They holes look as if they are used for a special tool to to bite into to unscrew theses end caps. Without having at least 2 deep threaded holes, I cannot mount the magnesium anodes. Could these endcaps have been changed? Are these anodes a must?
Thanks!

formula31 05-11-2005 08:58 PM

The older cylinder caps do not have the 2 threaded holes for the anode rings. Newer ones do. The old ones must have 2 new holes carefully drilled and taped. Can be done as assembled with care. If you are having corrosion problems, get the mercathode working first and see. You dont leave it in the water all the time right?

skijeta 05-12-2005 12:32 PM

The boat is trailered 99% of the time. It does stay in the water overnight with many other shore powered boats during the summer. That might happen 10 times or so. That is when I would notice the most white crusties on the outdrive.

Any idea the max allowable depth for the drill? I then assume a flat bottom tap would be the way to go.

Also, how about replacing the mercathode system with just an anode?

Thank you.

Poorsche 05-12-2005 12:36 PM

Have you got a Galvoniv Isolator in your AC circuit? You are getting electrolysis big time. The worst offender is probably someone who is using a 12v automotve battery charger. THey willl bleed off enough current to eat up outdrives in less than 6 weeks. It happened to me and it was painful.

skijeta 05-12-2005 09:17 PM

My boat does not have any AC at all. I'm guessing a whole new mercathode system is the way to go.