Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   MSD ignition systems (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/103814-msd-ignition-systems.html)

traviss 05-22-2005 06:41 PM

MSD ignition systems

I am in need of some advice.. The msd website won't work for me.

I am looking into a full MSD igntion system for my boat, I will also need a ignition retard control box. What should I be looking for?. Its for a small block chevy. Are the marine MSD distributors all electronic advance ect.. or are they mechanical advance?

tell me what I need guys :D

thank you

travis

Badtoon 05-22-2005 09:09 PM

Re: MSD ignition systems

Yes the distributor is mechanical advance. I have full MSD on my boat got it all from Summit Racing. There is an ignition retard control but it's not marine and it if gets wet it's junk. I locked out the mechanical advance and set timing at 34 deg. I switched to MSD so I could change the chip on the rev limiter box to what I wanted and the BIG reason is that I have a problem with loctiteing the rotor on the merc distributor and waiting for it to set up in a few hours.

WETTE VETTE 05-22-2005 10:01 PM

Sounds like someone is getting some laughing gas!!! We ran the MSD billet distributor with the timing locked, 6M2 box, 8768 rev limiter, and start / retard PN 8982. Don't forget a WOT micro switch, fuel pressure switch, and arming switch. Set the rev limiter at about 6800 and prop to run 6500 RPM on the gas. If you are at 5800-6000 now a 150 shot will be just about perfect. It isn't a good idea to bang the rev limiter on the NOS which is the reason for 6800. With your solid roller set-up 6800 should still be plenty safe if the Alpha lets go!

Craig

Crazyhorse 05-23-2005 11:23 AM

You can use your Thunderbolt distributor and module to trigger an MSD 6M box. No distributor corrosion issues that way.

dyno 05-23-2005 11:26 AM

Travis I'd lokk into the DUI set up......The MSD's ahve been a pain in my arse. I need to replace or send in for repairs one of my boxes every other year...

mopower 05-23-2005 04:29 PM

Can you say Crane? :D

DiamondPerformance 05-23-2005 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mopower
Can you say Crane? :D

Your right, Crane is the way to go, much easier than MSD.

traviss 05-24-2005 08:44 PM

thanks guys, pretty much what i needed to know...

How do you lock the timing?

wette vette.... laughin gas.. I don't know what your talkin about LOL! :evilb: :D :D I can hold my own but I might need the extra go-go to spank on some big boys, :D :D :D :D

WETTE VETTE 05-24-2005 08:47 PM

On MSD dsitributors it is very easy. It is shown in the instructions and even if you are half in the bag and sucking NOS you could figure it out!!

Craig

Jim Young 07-07-2005 12:47 PM

I have a 1988 242Ls with the ThunderboltIV Ignition. I want to replace it with MSD. Any suggestions and what do I unhook of the Thunderbolt. Looking at the wiring of the distributor it looks like it need power and ground off of the coil and a seperate engine ground. Thanks for the help in advance..
Jim