Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Bravo 3X Stern Drive Help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/104428-bravo-3x-stern-drive-help.html)

MooseKnuckle 05-31-2005 11:07 AM

Bravo 3X Stern Drive Help

I have a Formula 400SS with Bravo 3X drives. Last night on the way back to marina (after long boating weekend), boat started having problems staying on plane. Thought I lost a prop so stop to idle, raised drives and all four props were still there.

I thought the problem was with the Port drive, wife thought Starboard. So I engaged each drive separately and both worked fine at idle speeds and with a little extra gas.

Tried to get back on plane but could tell she was struggling which never happens. There was a difference in RPM's while trying to get back on plane, but not a huge difference. So I idled back to slip. I raised the drives and was able to turn the props without a problem (not in gear). It was getting dark, so I headed home.

Can't get boat into shop until next Monday, so I want to trouble shoot before then. What things should I be looking for? I will take props off tonight to see if a hub has slipped. I thought RPM's would of been a lot higher if that happened. But if only one of the 2 on each drive is slipping, maybe that's why things still seem normal at lower rpm. If it was a coupler, would I still be able to engage drives? Could there be a serious problem in the drive?

Thanks for replys. I'll be checking throughout the day.

hillbilly24 05-31-2005 03:50 PM

Re: Bravo 3X Stern Drive Help

Bravo three props have solid hubs so it aint that, thesplines in the props mate directly with the prop shafts, if it was the coupler you would probably feel a vibration when they started slipping. It sounds to me that it is more liekly engine realted and there are about a thousand things to look at there. I know it sucks to wait, but if your still under warranty I would wait and let the dealer take care of it.

MooseKnuckle 06-01-2005 09:53 AM

Went out last night with a friend to narrow the problem down. Drives seemed fine with every test, but still couldn't get up on plane. Port drive was being pushed higher than starboard. So being stumped for awhile, we started feeling around drive, and pulled out a plastic water bottle. We can not figure out how a plastic bottle was wedge on the underside of the drive which was preventing it from going all the way down. I had to suck it up while driving 40 mph cause that is when the problem occured.

I lucked out this time.

Milord 06-01-2005 10:44 AM

I just got off the phone with Bush, you must not have done much checking the other night wingnut! :D