Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   hydro hoist (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/106061-hydro-hoist.html)

JMPH 06-21-2005 08:00 PM

hydro hoist

My buddy keeps his 47 fountain on a 15000 lbs hydro hoist in front of my house, we went down tonigt and found the right rear tank split all the way around between the 2 back bands that attach to bunks,. Has anyone had any similar problem? the previous owner had a 47 sonic on it with no problems. The tanks are fiberglass and can be repaired but worried about happening again.

Thks Joe

Strip Poker 388 06-22-2005 09:54 AM

Re: hydro hoist

I havent heard anything like that before .Maybe someone else will chime in.

Wally 06-22-2005 09:58 AM

A pic would help but in my mind im thinking maybe the band were too tight and putting stress on that section..??..?? Maybe trying to wrap a piece of metal around and under those band to help distibute the pressure may help prevent it happeneing again? Or you may have just lucked out and there was a thin spot on the tank that couldnt hold anymore.....after you fix it you may never have another issue again...

JasonSmith 06-22-2005 04:54 PM

If it is a true Hydro Hoist they now make their tanks out of plastic/poly. I wonder why???

44MTI 06-22-2005 05:30 PM

Never heard of that. But I think they only make the smaller tanks out of plastic. the large one are still Fiberglass, and the bands are made to fit the tank snuggly, I don't think you can tighten them down to the point of damaging the tanks. At least not to this point, and if you could it should have shown up before now. Just some idle thoughts.

JasonSmith 06-22-2005 05:57 PM

No, the new ones are poly. I have a friend who has one that is 2 seasons old and it has poly tanks. It is a 15k lift.

Scott 06-22-2005 06:06 PM

I have repaired 5 spots on my lift where the band crushed the tank at the spot they are attached to each other. My dock neighbor has also had to repair a few spots on his.
When I say repaired I'm talking about cracks at the pinch point not a split all the way around the band.

44MTI 06-22-2005 06:06 PM

Really, we just had 2, 18k delivered this month, both were Fiberglass.

JMPH 06-22-2005 08:19 PM

I am not kidding the tank is separated and it is between the 2 back bands, there is about 3" at the top that has not separated, but the rest is a perfect separation all around the tank, it was pretty scary walking down to the dock and the back of the boat is way down.It almost seams like it separated at a seam, but not the case.In getting repaired as we speak.I was wondering if there was a problem with the tanks

thks Joe

JMPH 06-22-2005 08:56 PM

Made mistake it is a 18k lift

Joe