1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor >

1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Notices

1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Old 06-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Has anyone here heard of Steve Morris of Steve Morris Racing Engines? I've checked his site out and this guy has a list of pump gas motors that use a single 850 carb and a procharger setup. In the Big Block Chevy line he has 5 motors all 572 cid, which make like 1000, 1200 1400, 1500 and 1600 HP, all on 93 octane PUMP GAS!! According to Procharger's website, he recently did a 580cid w/ a single 850 Holley, 8.0 compression, Procharger F-2 (automotive type) blower, and about 28lbs of boost, and made 1685 HP at 6750 RPM!! ON 93 OCTANE!
Apparently, he was an engine builder for Dick Maskin (the co-founder of Dart Machinery) and built motors for a bunch of successful NHRA Pro-Stock teams. (Definitely not your run-of-the-mill shade-tree mechanic!)
I e-mailed him a few weeks ago to ask him if he could sell me a manifold and he responded the next day and told me to just simply gasket-match my manifold because thats all he does. He uses out of the box Dart Manifolds and Dart CNC heads on his 572's. He seems like a decent fellow, because he could have probably sold me a manifold and heads at that time but just gave me some free advice instead.
Oh, the best part, his fully assembled and dyno tested 1600 hp 572 goes out the door for $29,900.00! In my view, that's cheap for that kind of power.
I know he's a car guy, but hell, if he can make that kind of power on pump gas, somebody outta talk him into doing some marinized versions of those motors. or maybe a top-end package? After all, it would be nice if more of us could afford 1000++, wouldn't it?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Registered

Default Re: 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

You can make that kind of power on the dyno with 93 octane, but it won't live in a marine application. Ask him to hold it at 6000 rpm for 2 minutes.....he'll be picking up pistons out of the oil pan if he does
Old 06-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just built a drive for a 25' H2x Baja, 600" Procharged motor from Steve. It made a conservative 966hp at 5500rpm on the dyno.. Boat has seen around 90 so far at part throttle, as I have been told.. Droooollllllll!!!
So yes Steve does boat motors..

Dick
Old 06-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wesco has built several M5 procharger motors in that HP range and I've seen the dyno sheets and they havent failed yet....Morris has a great reputation on the strip.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Registered

A motor like this can still be run successfully in a "lake racer" marine application. If the driver wants to pretend he is an offshore racer and run WOT for 10 min blasts there will likely be problems. For the average weekend lake race a 25' cat with that motor will smoke the other guy so bad in 10 - 15 seconds of WOT the race will be over!!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:10 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by high-tide
What's impressive is the single 850 holley.
High-Tide
that is what i was impressed with, 1600 HP out of 850cfm...
Old 06-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Registered

I don't see it.

First getting 28 lbs of boost with 8:1 compression on 93 & not detonating? He must have a hell of an intercooler to keep the air charge cool enough.

Getting 1600 hp thru a 850cfm? I find this hard to believe because of the amount air flow & the amount of fuel that would be needed.

I know Tomcat will read this & am interested in hearing his comments.

If anyone remembers Rock-it-man he is trying to get big HP. Not sure what he has $pent on motor, blowers, & other stuff but he has had hell trying to keep a motor & blower together to get a 26' eliminator daytona to 150MPH.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Registered

I wasn't advocating using a drag race setup w/ 28lbs of boost in an offshore race type setup. BUT, if this guy can deliver those numbers (and he can - I've seem him make 1350++ on the dyno during an ESPN2 show with what appeared to be an iron-headed motor!) then I believe there is some serious potential here. If memory serves, Dick Maskin not only started Dart but he pioneered a very successful crate/spec-motor program for a number of Pro-Stock teams, so he obviously ran a widely respected engine building business.
BTW:I know the difference between a auto drag race setup and a marine application since I've personally built motors for both (as well as drag outboards - Johnson 3.0 and Merc 2.5)
Theres nothing wrong with using drag race technology - after all, Sterling has just recently demonstrated the power potentiial of the PSI screw-type in offshore setups, when in fact old drag racers like myself knew the Lysholm type PSI blower was a real animal when the NHRA banned it in Top Fuel over ten years ago (beacuase it made too much power!!).
I too would like to see what Tomcat thinks about all this because I think he is someone who speaks of things he has personal knowledge of.
FYI: I own a 2600 American Offshore and I prefer the kilo run kinda thing as opposed to running round in nasty water all day myself.
I also believe that there are a lot of people out there that are in for a rude awakening from the "centrifugal contingent". I personally know of a few where I live...
Old 06-22-2005, 03:31 PM
Registered

Yea,
The pump gas thing is pretty unbelievable!! Two 850's on a tunnel ram would also make more sense. Notice on his website he also lists a Scat Crank and Eagle Rods on that motor. I guess I shouldn't sweat using these parts in my wimpy 598 NA motor!!

Last edited by WETTE VETTE; 06-22-2005 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HARDCORE A/O
According to Procharger's website, he recently did a 580cid w/ a single 850 Holley, 8.0 compression, Procharger F-2 (automotive type) blower, and about 28lbs of boost, and made 1685 HP at 6750 RPM!! ON 93 OCTANE!
Just reread this. I had called & questioned procharger about a year ago on a statement they had on their web site questioning the "facts" they were stating. Answer I got back was "Fact" listed was what one of their customer had told them but they did not know for it to be true or not.

Quick Reply: 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.