Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Got pulled over by the noise police today.. >

Got pulled over by the noise police today..

Notices

Got pulled over by the noise police today..

Old 06-25-2005, 04:46 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got pulled over by the noise police today..

I have a NA 540 making 680 h.p. After fighting a reversion problem, I installed a set of CMI dry pipes. Thats when I knew it would happen. I just didn't think it was going to be the first Saturday out!!
I slowed down to 5 mph to go under a bridge, when I got past the bridge I pulled up on plane and was letting it rip a bit. I didn't see the Coast Guard hiding behind the bridge. When I slowed down to meet up with a friend, I got surrounded by 2 Coast Guard rubber rafts. It was as though they just caught someone from Americas Most Wanted. Luckily for me, they just read me the riot act, gave me a safety inspection and let me off with a warning to never been seen again without some type of mufflers.
I have done a search here and read alot of threads. It seems that the best way to go would be with the GGB Extreme clamp-ons. ( Remember I have full dry pipes ) The thing that bothers me is that I didnt want to go with a full time muffler. I would really like a switchable system. I don't care if there is a power loss while the switchables are on quiet mode, as long as they don't kill any power while open. The other day I talked to CMI, they said that they are going to be coming out a dry switchable system soon. I have to talk to them again Monday to get more information. While I didn't get all the details, the only thing I didn't like about it was that they would require some type of cone inserted in the tails and they want a little bit of water in the mufflers. There goes the full dry system.. Then ofcourse would come your standard air pump and valves.

Any thoughts? Anybody running some other type of dry switchables? Or should I just call Graham at GGB.

Thanks

Last edited by Vinny P; 06-25-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Got pulled over by the noise police today..

I have C.M.I.'s dry until just outside the transom ... the water dumps right at the tip of the tailpipe. Tails were done by Bob at Lake Precision Welding in Cleveland. I am also considering the GGB Extreme clamp ons.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
I have a NA 540 making 680 h.p. After fighting a reversion problem, I installed a set of CMI dry pipes. Thats when I knew it would happen. I just didn't think it was going to be the first Saturday out!!
I slowed down to 5 mph to go under a bridge, when I got past the bridge I pulled up on plane and was letting it rip a bit. I didn't see the Coast Guard hiding behind the bridge. When I slowed down to meet up with a friend, I got surrounded by 2 Coast Guard rubber rafts. It was as though they just caught someone from Americas Most Wanted. Luckily for me, they just read me the riot act, gave me a safety inspection and let me off with a warning to never been seen again without some type of mufflers.
I have done a search here and read alot of threads. It seems that the best way to go would be with the GGB Extreme clamp-ons. ( Remember I have full dry pipes ) The thing that bothers me is that I didnt want to go with a full time muffler. I would really like a switchable system. I don't care if there is a power loss while the switchables are on quiet mode, as long as they don't kill any power while open. The other day I talked to CMI, they said that they are going to be coming out a dry switchable system soon. I have to talk to them again Monday to get more information. While I didn't get all the details, the only thing I didn't like about it was that they would require some type of cone inserted in the tails and they want a little bit of water in the mufflers. There goes the full dry system.. Then ofcourse would come your standard air pump and valves.

Any thoughts? Anybody running some other type of dry switchables? Or should I just call Graham at GGB.

Thanks
I heard you from the north shore
Old 06-25-2005, 08:50 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JCPERF
I heard you from the north shore

The way the Coast Guard swarmed me, I think they did too. The only retribution is that I annoyed the hell out of alot of fisherman.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I have a valve on my boat that bleeds in water based on water pressure. It has a dial that lets me set the pressure. I then restrict the water to a 1/4" fitting. It's not much water, but it's enough to keep the exhaust cool.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:46 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Cord,
Are you saying that the little water that you allow into the pipes is enough to cool a clamp on switchable muffler?
Old 06-26-2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag

Thanks
Did you at least get a WOT pass before being surrounded by the Coast Guard? What type of top speed are you seeing now with the new power?
Old 06-26-2005, 02:28 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

rjbbc,
No I didn't get to let it go for enough time yesterday. The conditions were not good AGAIN. So, the speed numbers will have to remain the same for now. 78 on gps, and 85 speedo.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have access to a set of new 4" GGB Extreme clamp ons that are for sale.
Boat ended up passing without them and have never been mounted.
$700 for the set shipped.
Dave
[email protected]
Old 06-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Registered

From my GGB Extreme experience, the more water you can push through the GGB's, the quieter they become.
I learned this from running a crossover with and without a thermostat.
Without the thermostat (huge water out exhaust), I measured 86db. With the thermostat and a Merc Racing bypass (much less water), I am running 89-90db.

This is with Gil exhaust (tall riser) and GGB Extreme transom mount.
Kent

Quick Reply: Got pulled over by the noise police today..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.