Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Boat covered for 30 days has mold (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/107548-boat-covered-30-days-has-mold.html)

502SCS 07-12-2005 06:41 PM

Boat covered for 30 days has mold

Hey guys,
I just moved and have had a cover and a tarp over my boat for 30 days. With all of the rain , heat and humidity I pulled the cover today to find little black spots on all carpet , headliner and seats. Can someone point me in the correct direction to kill this mold in my v birth and interior.
Thanks in advance

custom29scarab 07-13-2005 08:05 AM

Re: Boat covered for 30 days has mold

Try simple green mildew destroyer. Works great on mildew.

cougarman 07-13-2005 08:51 AM

If you keep a fan in there and run on low while stored or covered it will eliminate future mold by having air movment.

Detail shop gave me the tech tip a long time ago, works
well.

Cougarman

Ms PatriYacht 07-13-2005 09:24 AM

of course it to late now, but our shrink wrap guy has us buy a bag of charcoal and rip it open. It sucks in moisture and we have been high and dry all winter and then have a big barbeque in the spring :D

Mr P has used bleach on the seats in our ski boat and it took it off, plus did not damage anything, of course we then wiped over the area with some type of vinyl conditioner, good luck

Poorsche 07-15-2005 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by custom29scarab
Try simple green mildew destroyer. Works great on mildew.

Is this stuff safe to use on the wall fabric inside an older Formula? By safe I mean it won't discolor fabric?

I got same proble becasue of bilge water flowing forward into cabin and sitting there for 3 weeks.

Kidnova 07-16-2005 11:34 AM

There are antimicrobreal and fungiside products that will both kill the mold/mildew, and prevent future growth of it. There are also products that will clean/remove the stuff.

In my line of work I'm exposed to houses/buildings that are sometimes subject to mold and mildew. This might sound like over kill but....if you find that you are unable to kill and clean the affected areas, you could contact a company that specializes in fire and water clean up. ServPro and Service Master are two examples. Look under "fire and water damage" in the business section of the phone book.

Something you could do on your own would be to put a dehumidifier and fan in the cabin and then cover the boat back up. Turn the dehu and fan on low, and let them run for as long as necessary to get rid of the moisture or dampness. Mold needs moisture to survive. Use the type of dehu that has a drain hose that can you can hang outside of the boat.

Hope this helps.

trivalleyboater 07-17-2005 03:44 PM

A little laundry bleach in a spray bottle, 1 part bleach, 4 parts water and it should dissapear. Try a test spot first on cabin uphostery and headliner, but it should not hurt it.

cuda 07-17-2005 04:50 PM

I hate to say it, but you will probably never get the mildew smell out of it. :(

Poorsche 07-17-2005 06:18 PM

I tried the trusty Mr Clean Magic Erasers-they did remove the surface mildew pretty well. It's going to takeseveral passes and wash down with some kind of cleaner to get rid of it all -- ON THE SURFACE.

THe real issue is the stuff in the foam on the back of the wall covering and carpet.

Servpro came out and put a monstre de-humidifier in boat for three days and now fan running with some air stink stuff. Servpor is going to use some proprietary chemiclas to try and get all the mold out but like cuda says--the long term odor is the PITA.

Probably have to replace the enitre interior to get rid of all the problems--which include health issues if you stay in/on boat much.

birdog 07-18-2005 06:56 AM

You need to find someone with an Ozone generator. We had one in our shop years ago for flood damaged cars & boats.
They are the only way to get it all....I'm suprised Sevpro doesnt have one...Call around