Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 12-15-2006, 08:39 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

DiamondPerformance, I am runnning the Valvoline NSL #VV851 which is a 6 qt case. Throw in one qt of the GM Oil Supplement per 14 qts.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

ok how about additives lucas oil amsoil etc,,,,what are your thoughts..........My engine tuner whants the lucas put in my fresh motor
Old 12-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by nocigarette
ok how about additives Lucas oil amsoil etc,,,,what are your thoughts..........My engine tuner wants the Lucas put in my fresh motor

Lucas increases "film strength" and "cushioning" properties of oil. Less metal to metal contact.

Why do some builders use this?

It works in getting oil to "stick" to moving parts better and cushion and perhaps smooth out a break-in. This would possibly reduce or post-pone the chance of "warranty related" problems. The builder is covering his azz.

Some builders will only warranty an engine if you use Redline oil as it has the highest film strength around and a ton of ZDDP and is a very "slick" anti-wear additive rich oil.

Either way it is not a bad thing to do in my opinion.

A "low/slow" break-in means more longevity. I am not one to go with a conventional oil that makes the "engine work". Why?

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-16-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Looking for oil for 2 stroke 2001 Sea Doo GTX's. My dad bought the kids some Sea Doos. No I really didn't want them, but I've got them. Apparently these specify the use of Bombardier Synthetic Oil. I went to Lake Cumberland Marine and bought a gallon for $42. I would like to use a good or superior substitute but pay less. Is there another option or can I buy in bulk?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
Looking for oil for 2 stroke 2001 Sea Doo GTX's. My dad bought the kids some Sea Doos. No I really didn't want them, but I've got them. Apparently these specify the use of Bombardier Synthetic Oil. I went to Lake Cumberland Marine and bought a gallon for $42. I would like to use a good or superior substitute but pay less. Is there another option or can I buy in bulk?
The Bombardier Product is an excellent product.

Amsoil Interceptor 2-cycle Synthetic Oil is as good or better. A case of 4 gallons goes for $120.00 plus shipping of about
$ 20.00. ($35/gal vs. $42/gal). I would consider it.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ait.aspx

The good stuff pretty much all is priced around $9-10/qt. It will make your engine live a lot longer with faster starts and less fouling which helps prevent being stranded out in the middle of no where.

You are paying for peace of mind and as leisure time has a high price tag this stuff gets you to haveing fun faster and longer. A good spend.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-17-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by nocigarette
ok how about additives lucas oil amsoil etc,,,,what are your thoughts..........My engine tuner whants the lucas put in my fresh motor
...............if the compounder/blended is a honest and builds a quality product, the only additive you need is an assembly lube when the engine is built. Most aftermarket additives contain zinc to increase the anti-wear, and a tackifier/viscosity improver to help restore the engines viscosity. Buy quality product from the start and you do not need additives. Ken
Old 12-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
Don't try to skimp
on the quality of the 2-cycle oil. One of the biggest reasons Sea Doo is asking for a synthetic is you probally have powervalves in your engine. (They are a chamber on the exhaust side of the motor before the exhaust pipe. they have a red adjustment screw in the middle and they are held together with a bail.) If you do not use a clean burning synthetic oil the valves will stick and your performance will suffer. Check with some snowmobile sites as they really have powervalve issues with the wrong type of oil. Ken
Old 12-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I am getting my investments in order...I am looking at a 35' Formula in 2007..

I take it you like your 336?
I LOVE the 336! It is the perfect boat for where we are (LOTO), and even though it's 10 years old now it still looks current. The 353 is a stepped hull (mine isn't), and they get great reviews but I haven't ridden in/driven one. PM me if you want more info...
Attached Thumbnails Marine Lubrication-backwater-jacks-dsc_3587.jpg  
Old 12-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
Don't try to skimp
on the quality of the 2-cycle oil. One of the biggest reasons Sea Doo is asking for a synthetic is you probally have powervalves in your engine. (They are a chamber on the exhaust side of the motor before the exhaust pipe. they have a red adjustment screw in the middle and they are held together with a bail.) If you do not use a clean burning synthetic oil the valves will stick and your performance will suffer. Check with some snowmobile sites as they really have powervalve issues with the wrong type of oil. Ken
Ken is right..don't skimp//the Amsoil syn 2-cycle is not about skimping..it is the same but cheaper.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by CObarry
I LOVE the 336! It is the perfect boat for where we are (LOTO), and even though it's 10 years old now it still looks current. The 353 is a stepped hull (mine isn't), and they get great reviews but I haven't ridden in/driven one. PM me if you want more info...

Cool graphics@!

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.