Marine Lubrication >

Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 05-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Rotella is a Great idea. The liberal bureaucracy has not gotten to diesel oils yet and screwed them up..
I have been using it in a Harley road glide 103. They are mechanically loud motor. It much quieter. Also run it in the trans and primary. Clutch feels better and shifts awesome. No more big clunk
Old 05-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
At least Driven isn't GREEN...

I used Brad Penn for my initial fill / Dyno run and now switched to Driven.. we'll see how it fares.. Be in the water for the first time this weekend..
I like the green, it is a nice indicator if there is a leak...seeing that power steering, trim, and tabs have same colored fluid.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:08 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Rotella is a Great idea. The liberal bureaucracy has not gotten to diesel oils yet and screwed them up..
Yes, they have. Rotella was one of the last hold outs to change. But they got forced to. It is still a real good oil, but it is not what it used to be. Same thing with Delo.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys put entirely to much time and energy into what oil to use and who's is best. I've never had an engine failure do to oil. The most important thing about oil is you change it. The richer the motor is the more often it needs changed. If you don't have a motor that is set in kill mode and dumping fuel into it to make it live you can make it a season without an oil change. 100 times more important than what brand oil is going in the motor is what oil filter is going to be used. If you collapse a filter your done. And due to the design of some filters they just don't flow any oil and become a huge restriction in the system which usually leads to a collapsed filter, empty wallet and a wife that tells you to get rid of the dumb thing.

Hint: $2/qt 20/50 oil works just as well as $10/qt 20/50 oil in motors that aren't being fuel diluted to stay alive.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Any thoughts on this particular filter? I usually use Wix but moved up to the HP6 size and this is what I found most easily available. I'm mostly concerned with the media being able to handle the typical moisture found in boats. Also using Brad Penn 10/40 in the ZZ502 motor.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
The easiest place for me to tap an oil temp gauge is off the outgoing port of the filter head. Is this still an adequate place to tap in to or have things chilled by then?
Sorry for the slow response... that is where I put mine. I wont loose that much heat from the pan.

Ken
Old 05-29-2016, 05:02 AM
Registered

Don't kid yourself, the zinc levels in Rotella, like the rest of our major brands of oils has dropped.

Ken
Old 05-31-2016, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
$5.45 a quart: http://amzn.com/B00DJ4FIPQ
Sometimes Oreilly's and Advanced has it cheaper.

Still waiting for someone to prove or even think lubrication issues using this.

Valvoline VR-1 racing motor oils are recommended for engines burring gasoline and full or partial alcohol fuels in track and street service
Use in any car, light truck, van or SUV where API SN is recommended
ZDDP additive provides tough anti-wear protection
Enhanced with friction modifier to improve horsepower
Formulated with enhanced anti-foam system

Picked up a (2) 6-packs for $65 recently, good stuff.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:11 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think from glancing at these threads periodically that Mobile V Twin has remained a top choice. Is this still the case?
Old 06-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bck
I think from glancing at these threads periodically that Mobile V Twin has remained a top choice. Is this still the case?
Yes, Mobil V-Twin is still a decent oil, but nothing like it was 5 years ago.

Ken

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.