Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   10% ethanol fuel (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/107913-10%25-ethanol-fuel.html)

mess 07-17-2005 08:02 PM

10% ethanol fuel

Has anyone ran ethanol in 496 mag

LostinBoston 07-17-2005 11:26 PM

Re: 10% ethanol fuel

not in a 496, but ive ran it in my car and my bike. 10% ethanol will not harm any cumbustion engine. It has less harmful emissions also.

at100plus 07-18-2005 07:22 AM

Unless you have a Skater or other boat with built in resin or epoxy type tanks. It eats them away allowing chunks and goo to go to fuel pumps or worse....clogging filters and leaving you out in the middle of the ocean with no fuel to the engines. :mad: It has been a bit of a crisis for Skater owners in Long Island where 10% ethanol blend has already been mandated.

Ethanol is corrosive (not god for aluminum engine parts), attracts water(not good for boating), and eats at rubber gaskets and seals.

It burns cleaner BUT its burns FASTER leaving you with less range in your gas guzzling boat. More than 10% and cars have to be modified to accomdate it if that tells you anything. It will also have a cleaning effect in your fuel system, so it can clog filters etc....

But get used to it folks, it's on it's way (it's a big part of the Bush energy bill), and probably here to stay.

Special interest groups, (Farmers) are the biggest supporters since it is derived from corn crops.

It also costs more to produce since it can't be piped (it attracts water). They have to build special refineries to make it happen, and you guessed it, Farmers are investing in that production.

Payton 07-18-2005 08:30 PM

Well, Let's just shoot all the farmers then. Sounds like we are the problem. :mad: :rolleyes:

at100plus 07-18-2005 08:51 PM

Not the problem, but not the best solution by a long shot, (with respect to powerboating). This is a powerboat website after all.

Payton, I know you are a farmer, and you have a special interest in ethanol blended fuels, (understandably). You told me yourself in our private messages that you are investing in the refineries, but you and I both know ethanol is not a good thing for marine fuel.

There's nothing our small special interest group, (powerboaters), can do about it now, the wheels are already in motion, but brace yourself, ethanol is going to cause us alot of problems (see just some of them in my post above).

cropfarmer 07-18-2005 09:12 PM

The manual says it's OK to run 10% blends with the 496. Just don't store it over winter with the ethanol and use a stabilizer.I think any alternative power is good weather it's wind ,sun are home grown corn. There's a small problem in the marine industry with ethanol,I hope it can adjust.

at100plus 07-18-2005 09:30 PM

I hope so too. Those "small" problems can be costly though. Engines are not cheap.

Why not store it over the winter with the ethanol? (I already know the answer), but what am I supposed to do with 120 gals of gas if for some reason I can't run it dry before winter storage?

gotime34 07-18-2005 09:57 PM

This sh*t is really worrying me. I was just having a conversation with my co-worker who also is a boater. If these effects are real and people start blowing engines left and right there are gonna be some pissed off boaters. I blew my engine a month ago...could it have been from 10% ethanol?...Probably not but who knows. And how will you know once it starts happening.

Kidnova 07-18-2005 10:05 PM

I heard an ethanol plant is being built in Fulton (central New York) close to where I live. It will be good for the local economy. And IMHO, that's all it will be good for.

Nation wide, what percentage of oil based fuels (including diesel, heating oil, etc) do gasoline powered cars, boats, and other gasoline burning engines really use...maybe 1%?? I don't know, just asking.

My point is, I don't see where 10% ethanol mixed in with gasoline is going to make much difference to the country as a whole. Don't get me wrong, the f'n mid east oil producing companies can kiss my azz. We should be free of thier grasp. I just don't think 10% ethanol mixed with gasoline is the answer.

at100plus 07-18-2005 10:07 PM

If you are running Ethanol, then I would say there is a good chance. Ethanol has a cleaning effect on your fuel system, it will clean up sending the gunk right into your filters or pumps. If that clog leads to a lean condition...kaboom!

I've heard from reliable sources of some very suspicious and expensive engine failures out on Long Island recently.