Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to Guide: Changing you sea-water pump impeller >

How to Guide: Changing you sea-water pump impeller

Notices

How to Guide: Changing you sea-water pump impeller

Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found it MUCH easier to leave the pump on the engine and pull the housing... Very easy to do. I did it both ways...one by pulling the whole assembly and one by pulling the housing...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Registered

I am for real worried about this.

I have changed them a few times on my singel and to get the pump off houseing or just the whole thing i come from the bottom, so not sure how you going to get that angel on it haha.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

How about wear marks on the stainless plate? Are thu normal or a sign of something?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Registered

is there an advantage to pulling the whole pump assembly off vs take the housing apart ?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Registered

wear marks are normal. but normally the empellar coems with a new wear plate for this reason.

I like taking the whole pump off, But thats casue i can reach it.

there is 5 bolts on the housing. 3 are bolt throughs that hold it ON the braket. the toher 2 are just for the pump its self.

5 bolts, and 2 house clamps...... does not sound like a hard job, and its not, its all location.... and most of the time the location SUCKS.

Last edited by mittens; 02-20-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Registered

I'm doing my first Bravo raw water pickup. Everything is going somewhat smoothly, thanks to friends and researching this site.

One question though. The small o-ring that came with the kit, does not look like it has a groove to sit in around the shaft. Is it used on all applications?

The motor is a 2000 7.4l.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by tnc110
I found it MUCH easier to leave the pump on the engine and pull the housing... Very easy to do. I did it both ways...one by pulling the whole assembly and one by pulling the housing...
If you have room to do that, then that's great. There is not an easy way to get just the housing off on some boats. Mine is one of them, unfortunately.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

bump for a good read
Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Registered

Thanks for the tutorial. It was a great help!

I have mine pulled and this morning will re-install.
I didn't have enough room to replace the impeller while on the engine so I pulled the whole assembly. Also, I only had small electrical ties(3/16ths inch wide) and they were not strong enough so I used a piston ring compressor to install the impeller....but it worked fine with a bit of soap.

Now, where can I find a 3 yr. old with small hands who can fit in the engine compartment?-Jerry

After installation today, 7/17/13:
If I had to do this again, I'd use 2, 3/8" slave bolts (bolts w/o heads) for aligning the mounting bracket and then remove each to insert the regular bolts. Laying on top of the engine and trying to re-install with limited sighting and one hand was difficult.
Or, maybe I'd cut a 2' x 3' hole in the aft cabin wall so I could work directly in front of the housing. It would have made removal and installation much easier and could be easily plugged and removed for later repairs.

Last edited by cware48420; 07-17-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:37 PM
Registered

Another BUMP for a great writeup... Had to do the impeller kit including housing on the 7.4 in my Lavey, including backflushing the coolers to get out the pieces of the old impeller that had self-destructed... Way easier than I expected, luckily my rear seat came out allowing easy access... thanks OSO!
Old 09-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

How do you re-tension the idler pulley after backing off the nut to release?

Quick Reply: How to Guide: Changing you sea-water pump impeller

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.