Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Trailer Problem, Levelers between axles arent working (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/108969-trailer-problem-levelers-between-axles-arent-working.html)

BajaRunner 07-31-2005 10:06 PM

Trailer Problem, Levelers between axles arent working

2 Attachment(s)
My trailer has been making a clunking sound.

Here are a few pics. I had to jack it up to make the axle leveler (or whatever that thing is) work. The pics after that show what its like normally. what do you do to fix it? both tires are aired up good. the other side is fine. When it does move, its not smooth at all, real jerky, are there bushings in there that wear out?

BajaRunner 07-31-2005 10:07 PM

Re: Trailer Problem, Levelers between axles arent working

1 Attachment(s)
Now heres what it looks like normally. What causes this and how do i fix it?

cig1988 08-01-2005 03:47 AM

Bolts too tight?

Wobble 08-01-2005 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Now heres what it looks like normally. What causes this and how do i fix it?

Looks like front of trailer too high/low, if trailer frame parallel to ground with all same size tires/pressures then suspension should be even too.

Only known cure is this :D

Cord 08-01-2005 12:50 PM

Something is causing that axle to twist under the trailer. Out of level would seem to be a likely cause. There are bushings in there that can easily wear out. I found on my trailer those idler link bolts were actually cut in half. I ended up needing new links, bolts, idlers, bushing, etc. When you do replace the parts, get the bolts that can be greased. A little grease will add significant life to your suspension.

US1 Fountain 08-01-2005 04:49 PM

Non level will not be the cause of that picture, unless there are no tires on the 1 axle. ;) You should be able to raise the tongue a couple feet and be no were near that picture. Kinda looks like the center hole may be worn off center, shifting the leverage point to the shorter side. Or a broken leaf?

BajaRunner 08-01-2005 04:56 PM

I talked with roadrunner and sent them the pics, and there are 2 problems.

1. my shackles are backwards for some reason, (Driving off a curb or something)

2. My leveler's are worn, and need to be replaced, along with spring bushings.

hopefully that fixes it. the leveler does seem off center, like its worn.

Island Hopper 08-02-2005 08:39 AM

I had the same problem with a previous trailer. Mine would happen every time I used a particular ramp that had a significant drop off. When I pulled out, it would catch on the ledge, and roll the leveler, just like what your picture shows. When this would happen I would chock the tires and roll it back where it needed to be.

mopower 08-02-2005 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
When it does move, its not smooth at all, real jerky, are there bushings in there that wear out?

By the looks of the pix , you have some rust there. Could also be inside too and causing the "not smooth and jerky" movement you talk about.