Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
V6 Ignition on a V8 Blower motor?  Why?? >

V6 Ignition on a V8 Blower motor? Why??

Notices

V6 Ignition on a V8 Blower motor? Why??

Old 08-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: V6 Ignition on a V8 Blower motor? Why??

Very helpful, Thanks.

Are there any drawbacks to using a V6 modual?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Registered

Well I tried the V6 moduals...just to see what would happen.

Like I said before I thought my idle was fine and I didn't have any problems other than "everyone" says go to V6 ignition.

Wow what a difference. Even cold my motor fired right up and idled and sounded way...way...smoother!

But now I have a new question...

My full advance timing (3500 rpm) was 32*. When we checked the V6 moduals 3500 rpm timing changed to 37*. We then reset timing to 32*.

Is the timing change normal for a modual swap?

My mechanic was confused. He thought timing would stay the same. Anyway I recomend the change. Oh yeah...I had merc V8 HP moduals before.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you dont make any changes to base timing(idle), total timing will definatly change when you swap the modules. Not to talk badly of anyone but the fact that this confused you mechanic kinda scares me. The only strange part is that total timing should have decreased with the V6 modules not increased. unless he played with base timng. What base timing are you running now? if you have 32 total I am guessing it is around 22 with the V6 module ?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Registered

The mechanic I use locally is just a wrench (good guy) I use for easy stuff since I don't have time to do the easy stuff myself. Keith Eickert, Dean Nickerson and Mel Riggs is who I use as advisers (as well as this board). Inital timing was irrelevant to me because on my blower motors need 32* total advance. That is how my motors MUST be set...

Nobody told me what the change in total timing would be other than "everyone" said to check the full advance setting and adjust accordingly.

But...noone said what would happen...I'm not surprised my "wrench" didn't know...but...should it have changed like this?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you want to set total timing to where the manufacturer recomends unless you have ascess to a dyno and can do some tweeking on your own to find out what works best. But if they are Eichkard motors I'm sure they know what is best for there engines. Total timing is what you have to adjust for not base timing. Manufacturers have base timin specs becuase they know what the advance curve of the factory module is and if you take base timing and add module advance you will have total timing. And it is much easier to set base timing. You did the right thing by adjusting for the proper total timing but it would be nice to know what base timin is, all you have to do is check it with a timing light at idle. base timing is what he adjusted to bring total back to 32. Did he adjust idle speed after he did that ?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Registered

Yes...idle speed was adjusted. But I was cleaning my bow at the time so i don't know was the change was... up or down. But We both were wondering if the full timing change was to be expected???

But I will say my motors never ran so good and I've owned these for 4 year now...
Old 08-04-2005, 03:57 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

That is very strange if all you did was switch modules. They should have reduced total timing at full advance and thus made you advance the intital timing more. The advancing of the base timing is what cleans up the idle.

Also, full advance on V6 module is usually all in before 2000rpms when on a V8 engine.