Hydraulic steering over 70 mph >

Hydraulic steering over 70 mph

Notices

Hydraulic steering over 70 mph

Old 08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic steering over 70 mph

Why is this a good idea? The regular stock power steering won't hold up? What are the issues here?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Registered

Default Re: Hydraulic steering over 70 mph

I am not an expert here but just installed a full hyd IMCO helm unit and got rid of that cable/Brazil valve POS. ALL of the free play is now gone, the effort is much reduced and the boat seems to handle much better (less chine walk) at all speeds.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know where the "70 mph rule" came from but IMO it's a good idea on any boat that is driven hard and fast. Takes the stress off the tiller arm and gimbal ring and really tightens up the steering. It was a night and day difference on my Donzi Blackhawk.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the main issues is safety. With the higher prop torque there is more strain on the steering components and the chances of failure are increased. Given the higher possibility of failure and the higher rate of speed your chances of a bad accident are increased. If the P/S belt breaks at speed you are going to have a bad day. Control at speed is greatly increased with a hydraulic setup reducing the chances of any chine walk or other nasty traits.

As I see it those are the main points. If you are going into the 80's and above I would consider it a must. If you are mids 70's, depending upon boat weight, single or twins etc. you could get by with a Drew Marine stabilizer setup. This would give you a marginal safety factor but if your budget is a concern and you don't really hammer it too much that might be the way to go.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:16 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

There is no question about it, get the full dual ram steering. You wont be sorry.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I run low 70's in my boat but was told it would be a good idea to switch to hydraulic...and it was the best thing I ever did on my boat. Besides the fact that my old steering unit was old and I was afraid something might break at any time, the hydraulic set-up made 100% difference in the way the boat steers and handles. There is no slop in the steering, which was getting dangerous when I got to higher speeds. no slop makes it easier when docking also. The hydraulic steering also holds the boat more stable, with mechanical steering I felt like I was constatly fighting the wheel. I feel I'm in much better control with hydraulic steering. just my .02
Old 08-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Registered

biggest reason is torque steer second reason is it saves the upper steering pin
Attached Thumbnails Hydraulic steering over 70 mph-42pr2.jpg  
Old 08-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best reason, your life is worth more than the steering. plus you can hoooolllldddddddd it with no worries,,,,,,, see

Last edited by monstaaa; 09-21-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:53 AM
Registered

So, with these systems, do you eliminate the power steering pump all together?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:02 AM
Registered

I had the same debate - decided that the paying the ultimate price was so much worse than the cost of hydraulic steering that I went for it - during the install, the huge nut that seemed to hold the whole stock steering assembly in place and controlled the tiller arm on the drive literally fell off in my hands - and that on a boat only 3 years old. Scary to think what might have happened running in the high seventies if she'd gone - so even if you don't go hydraulic, get back there in that tight spot and do a complete inspection a couple times per year - btw- the full hydraulic, bought from Fred at Trick at a great price is great - also completely eliminates the dangerous pull that occurs when you come down from airing it out.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic steering over 70 mph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.