Opinions on Regal Velocity? >

Opinions on Regal Velocity?

Notices

Opinions on Regal Velocity?

Old 09-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Opinions on Regal Velocity?

I am looking for a first boat and came across a 1989 Velocity. Boat is excellent/mint condition with ~450HP 454's, Bravo I's and a 1996 tandem axle, 10,000# Myco trailer. It only has 170 hours on the hull and 50 on the motors. Anything I should look out for on this boat? What would be a reasoable price?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Opinions on Regal Velocity?

check NADA.com for the price

Since you stated plural engines and drives, then I assume you are looking at the 30'er.

Looks like $22k with stock 330hp power and up to $33k with 450hp engines. However, be careful of that $33k number as it assume an 502 engine which is worth more (think resale...) than the 454's. Maybe $25 would be a good offer, but paying more than $30k would put you at risk of being upside down.

Also, having the engines reworked after only 120hours (hull hrs-engine hours) would need an explaination. Since you are saying they are 450hp, they are not stock Merc units. I'd require a detailed list of parts used to build them up, name and contact info for the engine builder, then I'd call around and find out if the engine builder was good or not. A compression test would be nice insurance also.

You've got a $11k NADA range riding on the performance and quality of those engines...so do your homework on them!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy a regal velocity, but the brand is looked down on as one of the red headed stepchildren of the offshore world.

It is claimed by some that the build quality suffered durring the regal production of the Velocity line, making it less desirable then some other top name boats.

I still think they are nice and certainly nice for the money but you should look for a deal on the boat
Old 09-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Dregsz
I would buy a regal velocity, but the brand is looked down on as one of the red headed stepchildren of the offshore world.

It is claimed by some that the build quality suffered durring the regal production of the Velocity line, making it less desirable then some other top name boats.

I still think they are nice and certainly nice for the money but you should look for a deal on the boat

I think this pretty much covers it. If you run into any hull problems, blame Regal, not Velocity.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I has a 88 with 420 trs uppers, speedmaster bottoms ran great, upgraded motars, ran 84, very flighty but no hull promlems.