Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge >

Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge

Notices

Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge

Old 10-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge

there is no RTV or silicone of any type in these pumps, every mating surface of this pump is machined with an O-ring groove and appropriately sized O-ring on one side or the other of the mating surface.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge

Fred,

First let me be perfectly clear we would never alter or fabricate a picture for any reason PERIOD! What we have brought to light are merely our findings. Rather than make unwarranted claims about a competitors product we acquired one for inspection and welcome anyone in the industry that cares enough about this project to do just that.

The pump we used was NOT modified in any way. Let me tell you just how we acquired this pump:

This pump was a door prize at the Hot Boat Party during the 2005 Miami Boat Show. Jules the owner of KPM personally handed this pump to the winner of the prize who happened to be a current customer of ours. We obviously were interested enough to ask to review the pump for our own research of these so called new "Technologies". Obviously, we had already heard the story about the "KPM" pump being taken to the big manufacturers and we were already assured by them that there was no possible way for this pump to be effective for any duration of time. Why do you think Mercury still makes there pump the same way that they do. For the following months we heard similar stories to the ones posted on other threads of failures.

We have no claim to having never had a problem we just don't like it when a Manufacturer gets on this forum and lies and claims they have never had any failures. This is just bad for our friends and fellow boaters and we felt it was time to just show the world the facts, nothing other than that so in regards to altered pictures that is completely not "TRUE".

If there are any discrepancies comparing this pump to the ones you have on the shelf the only explanation would be a design change has occurred since this pump was manufactured, our pump is from February of this year. Or possibly KPM was out of O-rings the day this pump was built and decided to use silicone instead.

Why would we be STUPID enough to modify a pump and then post it here. Give me a little credit here, we are far from being babbling idiots and would never try a stunt like that, it would immediately discovered by the members here.

Last edited by CPPerformance; 10-03-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Registered

Hi Jules morgan From Team KPM Racing

Wow this is just like The Jerry Springer show. But unlike the Jerry springer Show I am going to try to deal with this in a Dignified and Decent Manner. More important I am not going to insult the dignity and intelligence of the readers of this post. I must be Honest and say that I am not suprised that this post has been placed. It was not if but when this would happen???

Before I start I am going to lay Down some rules upon myself with this response.

1- I will not comment on our competitors product and try to dispute its performance or construction. The Hardin/CP / KEPP ?? pump is good product . It is just not the same as the KPM product which has addressed issues reported by our customers.

2- I will not comment upon who our customers are since This puts our customers in a compromised position and this is not proffesional Conduct. I will state that we have been selling to many leading engine builders for the last two years.

3- We have tested our competitors product not just hardin and CP but several other pumps used on engines through out the world, I have photos of the parts . I would never dream of posting such comparisons on an internet site or even showing the parts to my customers. This is very bad business practice and I have never seen this used in any other situation.

OK Here We go

I would like to the customers and readers of this to ask them selves the following questions.

1) If our product is so bad why have CP taken so much time and effort to produce such a comprehensive assasination of a competitors product. The answer is probably that KPM are Hurting their sales. As a customer have you ever seen anything like this before?

2) KPM have been selling this pump in the USA for three years and if the product was really that inferior , it would have fallen flat on its face and been with drawn from the market a long time ago . Infact KPM's sales are growing. Our warranty of two years is there because KPM are confident that the product can take it. Why would we do this if we were to loose money?? Its bad Business????. Its what customers want !! thats good business.

3) Why have KPM only ever had one pump returned out of some 400 sold. Why have we never sold a single replacement impeller. We admitt that we have had one difficult customer but we all have that . Even though this customer got the installation wrong time and time again . KPM still accepted liability and supplied a new set of Pumps. Would anybody else do this.

4) I could take a picture of a competitors product and make changes leave out seals and replace it with RTV etc. Why would we fabricate such a situation. Does it not seem strange . Why leave out a seal that costs 10 cents.

5) Why Would KPM supply a product of inferior construction and material . For example the stainless shaft . Materials and protective finishes have moved forward a great deal in (the CP quoted) 15 years. The grade of Alumiuim used for the shaft is infact aerospace grade and the same used on 777 wing spars .Do you worry when you fly that it is not strong enough. KPM pumps did have stainless shafts , and we would not have changed over unless we were absolutely sure that it would meet specification . Why would we do this?????

6) Why at MIami were customers displaying KPM product told to remove it from their stands By the competitor . The stand owners were very upset, . Such MOB tactics are unfair upon the dealers and customers. Why behave like this.

7) Why were our dealers contacted by the competitor , and when asked why their pump was not being purchased the answer was that the KPM pumps work great and do not fail. The response from the competitor was " you want the pump to fail and wear so you can sell more new pumps and spares.
Is this how you want to be treated as a customer?????.

8) KPM could use our customers names reputation to sell our product to justify our case but this is not the information we would like our customers to freely have. It is not fair on our customers unless they have some commercial gain.

I could Include more but I would start to compromise my own level of dignity.

I could go on and defend all the technical details on the posting. But I do not wish to bore the readers. If you would like to Know more you are more than free to contact my personal email or visit the web site.

I must admit that I am flattered that in such a short time KPM products have caused such a stir in the market. Competition is a good thing and under no circumstances should there ever be a monopoly since this works against the customer who will at the end of the day be subjected to increased prices.
However; there is a limit too which the competition should be taken. I believe that this post has over stepped the mark , and shows a level of desperation. Most of the comments and technical facts are so incorrect it is beyond belief .

The comments about British products I find beyond belief. Our soldiers fight together, When New Orleans happened , who flew over millions of ration packs within days, who sent the USA our petrol reserves to the point that we nearly runout ?. The UK did. Did you know that 80% of all indy cars are made in the UK? The comments may have been made in fun but , Us brits would never Dream of making such a statement about the USA. A country that we all love and 2,000,000 brits a year visit. Who else is sticking by the USA in Iraq , and Afganistan. Please name one other country.

All I ask is that any readers try and make up thier own minds .

Thankyou for taking time out in reading this post

Jules Morgan
CEO Team KPM Racing

Jules Look at History
Do you remember when Japanese bikes and Cars and outboard engines came to the UK and USA. The domestic producers laughed and dismissed the products.

I do not see them laughing now.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CPPerformance
Fred,

First let me be perfectly clear we would never alter or fabricate a picture for any reason PERIOD! What we have brought to light are merely our findings. Rather than make unwarranted claims about a competitors product we acquired one for inspection and welcome anyone in the industry that cares enough about this project to do just that.

The pump we used was NOT modified in any way. Let me tell you just how we acquired this pump:

This pump was a door prize at the Hot Boat Party during the 2005 Miami Boat Show. Jules the owner of KPM personally handed this pump to the winner of the prize who happened to be a current customer of ours. We obviously were interested enough to ask to review the pump for our own research of these so called new "Technologies". Obviously, we had already heard the story about the "KPM" pump being taken to the big manufacturers and we were already assured by them that there was no possible way for this pump to be effective for any duration of time. Why do you think Mercury still makes there pump the same way that they do. For the following months we heard similar stories to the ones posted on other threads of failures.

We have no claim to having never had a problem we just don't like it when a Manufacturer gets on this forum and lies and claims they have never had any failures. This is just bad for our friends and fellow boaters and we felt it was time to just show the world the facts, nothing other than that so in regards to altered pictures that is completely not "TRUE".

If there are any discrepancies comparing this pump to the ones you have on the shelf the only explanation would be a design change has occurred since this pump was manufactured, our pump is from February of this year. Or possibly KPM was out of O-rings the day this pump was built and decided to use silicone instead.

Why would we be STUPID enough to modify a pump and then post it here. Give me a little credit here, we are from being babbling idiots and would never try a stunt like that, it would immediately discovered by the members here.
Let me tell you the story, KPM have only ever put on RTV on one pump. Those were the ones given away at Miami. After the reception Myself and Dan Rhodes recieved From Hardin at the show , and knowing that we were asked to give away pumps at the hotboat party , Dan Rhodes was concerned that the pumps would fall into the hands Of Hardin marine. Inorder for KPM to Identify the This set of pumps , the night before we took the seals out in the hotel room and replaced the seal with RTV which would still allow the pump to Function perfectly well. As it happens Dan was completely right, and a year later the pumps have surfaced. As you will probably notice the O ring channel is evident. Why would we leave out a 10 cent seal.

Jules morgan.

PS since that pump was made we have brought out generation 2 , which is what Trick marine have been selling.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Jules...Welcome To America!

While your post is quite long, it really does not say very much. There are a couple of points we would like to address though.

You stated:
"I would never dream of posting such comparisons on an internet site or even showing the parts to my customers. This is very bad business practice and I have never seen this used in any other situation. "

Have you ever seen the Ford/Toyota commercials comparing these vehicles?
Have you ever seen the commercials or been to a tavern in this country and witnessed the Miller/Budweiser taste tests?
Have you ever heard of a little magazine called "Consumer Reports"?

These are just a few examples of product comparisons used here in the good Ol' USA. It's not only good for business, it's GREAT for the consumer.

You further stated:
"4) I could take a picture of a competitors product and make changes leave out seals and replace it with RTV etc. Why would we fabricate such a situation. Does it not seem strange . Why leave out a seal that costs 10 cents."

See my post above. THE PUMP PICTURED WAS NOT MODIFIED AND IS SHOWN EXACTLY AS WE RECEIVED IT!

And the last statement of yours that I would like to comment on:
"I could go on and defend all the technical details on the posting. But I do not wish to bore the readers. If you would like to Know more you are more than free to contact my personal email or visit the web site."

Jules, from your reluctance to post the tech data evidently the TRUTH hurts. The members of this site are intelligent, well educated people that love the sport of boating. The technical information available on this site is what draws them here. They use the information presented to help each other out when they are having a problem with the boat or looking to upgrade. There are a great many buying decisions made based on the information presented. Many of the members are considered "Technical Experts" and have worked in the marine industry most of their lives.

We invite you to post the technical details on your product. All we have done here is take your pump apart, lay it next to ours, take some pictures, and present the differences in construction between the two products.

Last edited by CPPerformance; 10-03-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CPPerformance
Jules...Welcome To America!

While your post is quite long, it really does not say very much. There are a couple of points we would like to address though.

You stated:
"I would never dream of posting such comparisons on an internet site or even showing the parts to my customers. This is very bad business practice and I have never seen this used in any other situation. "

Have you ever seen the Ford/Toyota commercials comparing these vehicles?
Have you ever seen the commercials or been to a tavern in this country and witnessed the Miller/Budweiser taste tests?
Have you ever heard of a little magazine called "Consumer Reports"?

These are just a few examples of product comparisons used here in the good Ol' USA. It's not only good for business, it's GREAT for the consumer.

You further stated:
"4) I could take a picture of a competitors product and make changes leave out seals and replace it with RTV etc. Why would we fabricate such a situation. Does it not seem strange . Why leave out a seal that costs 10 cents."

See my post above. THE PUMP PICTURED WAS NOT MODIFIED AND IS SHOWN EXACTLY AS WE RECEIVED IT!

And the last statement of yours that I would like to comment on:
"I could go on and defend all the technical details on the posting. But I do not wish to bore the readers. If you would like to Know more you are more than free to contact my personal email or visit the web site."

Jules the members of this site are intelligent, well educated people that love the sport of boating. The technical information available on this site is what draws them here. They use the information presented to help each other out when they are having a problem with the boat or looking to upgrade. There are a great many buying decisions made based on the information presented. Many of the members are considered "Technical Experts" and have worked in the marine industry most of their lives.

We invite you to post the technical details on your product. All we have done here is take your pump apart, lay it next to ours, take some pictures, and present the differences in construction between the two products.
Why do we not send our respective pumps to an independant test lab and see if our claims are true, Hardin versus KPM . Since the truth is that as competitors we have vested interest in our own products. Thats as it should be.

With your comment to the customers being intelligent , that is something that we can agree upon. I have printed 10 pages of your post . You are justified in doing so but 10 pages . Come on!

Would you be happy for me to post pictures of one of your pumps we have had on test on the web site tommorow. Will You give me your permission, since I will not do it unless you are comfotable with this.

Unless we can have an independant test how can we inform the customer without bias.
Jules
Old 10-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raceangel77
Let me tell you the story, KPM have only ever put on RTV on one pump. Those were the ones given away at Miami. After the reception Myself and Dan Rhodes recieved From Hardin at the show , and knowing that we were asked to give away pumps at the hotboat party , Dan Rhodes was concerned that the pumps would fall into the hands Of Hardin marine. Inorder for KPM to Identify the This set of pumps , the night before we took the seals out in the hotel room and replaced the seal with RTV which would still allow the pump to Function perfectly well. As it happens Dan was completely right, and a year later the pumps have surfaced. As you will probably notice the O ring channel is evident. Why would we leave out a 10 cent seal.

Jules morgan.

PS since that pump was made we have brought out generation 2 , which is what Trick marine have been selling.
I don`t understand the reasoning for this. Am I missing something? Oh...Chevy thought Ford was going to get their hands on one of those hot new 572 crate engines, so Chevy put bacon rinds in place of the rod bearings. Guess we`ll be hearing about this soon.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HigherPower
I don`t understand the reasoning for this. Am I missing something? Oh...Chevy thought Ford was going to get their hands on one of those hot new 572 crate engines, so Chevy put bacon rinds in place of the rod bearings. Guess we`ll be hearing about this soon.
Seemed a bit strange to me too.????

This also contradicts the previous statement about the accusations of altered pictures.............

" 4) I could take a picture of a competitors product and make changes leave out seals and replace it with RTV etc. Why would we fabricate such a situation. Does it not seem strange . Why leave out a seal that costs 10 cents. "
Old 10-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceangel77
Why do we not send our respective pumps to an independant test lab and see if our claims are true, Hardin versus KPM . Since the truth is that as competitors we have vested interest in our own products. Thats as it should be.

With your comment to the customers being intelligent , that is something that we can agree upon. I have printed 10 pages of your post . You are justified in doing so but 10 pages . Come on!

Would you be happy for me to post pictures of one of your pumps we have had on test on the web site Tammara. Will You give me your permission, since I will not do it unless you are comfotable with this.

Unless we can have an independant test how can we inform the customer without bias.
Jules

how bout this,

you guys each send me a pump or maybe two(for a twin application) i will put them in a vessel of choice , and proceed top beat fire out of said boat, to see in fact which pump is actually up to par. this would be a real world comparison for customers to actually base an intelligent decision on.

just a suggestion, not meant to be negative in any way to anybody.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Re: Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
Seemed a bit strange to me too.????

This also contradicts the previous statement about the accusations of altered pictures.............

" 4) I could take a picture of a competitors product and make changes leave out seals and replace it with RTV etc. Why would we fabricate such a situation. Does it not seem strange . Why leave out a seal that costs 10 cents. "
My thoughts exactly.....I'm sure CP could afford to buy a kpm pump if they wanted one.
KEPP products are top notch and I wish I could have 2 of everything.

For the record Jules...
I think I speak for all Americans when I say we appreciate your country standing strong with us. We are a bit provincial at times but you need to understand American humor. I've trained with the Royal Marines and they are a great bunch of guys. But also in all truthfulness...Lucas electrics suck!

Quick Reply: Sea Pumps KPM vs. Keith Eickert vs. Hardin Marine - You be the judge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.