Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Need Stereo Advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/116375-need-stereo-advice.html)

WAGS382 11-13-2005 04:35 PM

Need Stereo Advice

I am installing a flat panel tv in my boat this winter and also replacing the original kenwood stereo. I was thinking of installing a sony mex-r5 head unit that will also play dvd's.
Does anyone have any experience with this stereo ? I noticed that the pre-amp's are 2 volt, but the old stereo has 4 volt, will this cause a problem. This is going in a 382 formula with kenwood amps and speakers. I was also told that the sony marine remote rm-xm10 is compatable with this head unit.Is this a good route to take or should I keep the stereo and the dvd player separate. thanks Jeff

Audiofn 11-14-2005 01:42 PM

Re: Need Stereo Advice

You can combine them no problem. The 2 volt to 4 volt is not such a huge deal. You may loose a little volume but I doubt it. You may be able to adjust for that with the gains on the amp. As the TV make sure that you mount it as solidly as you can. If it bounces at all the life of the set will be shortened.

Jon

hillbilly24 11-14-2005 02:43 PM

I have had alot of headaches with Sony head untis. Every one I have owned had track read error problems and their after sale support sucks, they want you to mail it to them and they return it in 8 weeks with the same problem. I finally gave up on them all together and will never buy a Sony product again.

deboatmon 11-15-2005 05:29 PM

You didn't mention how you would power your new TV. I did a 17" LCD TV/monitor this summer and hunted for one that operated from 12 VDC. Most if not all are supplied with outboard PSU's and many have PSU's that output 12VDC to the TV. Powering your TV/monitor is soooo much easier if you get a 12VDC unit. Otherwise you must use generator/shorepower/invertor, all of which are less desirable than a simple 12VDC unit that can power directly from your 12VDC system onboard. There are plenty of LCD TV's that will operate from a 12VDC source.

Have you considered that aspect of your TV installation ?

I've never experienced the problems that hillbilly24 has with Sony. I've used only SONY for CD changer, DVD player, head unit and remote for years. SONY makes the best players in the world, in my opinion. I use an electronic crossover so gain is never a problem. I have abundant gain on all outputs.

Good luck.

WAGS382 11-15-2005 06:13 PM

Ken
Yes I did buy a flat panel that runs on 12 volts, it is a 13" sharp aquios.If I buy the sony stereo that will play dvd's along with mp3's and cd-r's my whole system will be 12 volt and a clean install. Jeff

US1 Fountain 03-08-2006 07:09 PM

Wags, did you buy this Sony unit? Curious if you like it.

I'm placing an order tommorrow for it and the XM10w remote.