Forced air ventilated stepped hull? >

Forced air ventilated stepped hull?

Notices

Forced air ventilated stepped hull?

Old 12-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Forced air ventilated stepped hull?

I think the next step after steps is to go to a hydrofoil design....get everything up and out of the water but the sponsons and the prop...
Attached Thumbnails Forced air ventilated stepped hull?-hydrofoil.gif  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-02-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Forced air ventilated stepped hull?

That boat has been on the board before. There is a massive thread with build pics. I thought that some of the pics were posted by AudioFn.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:12 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The big open ducts at the bow look little scary if ever it even came close to a stuff. I've come plowing thru rollers at the mouth of a river and had water plowing right up to the rub rail - have that pressure hit the vents at speed would act like a hydro brake - no?
Old 12-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Panther makes a good point about Outer Limits. I've seen what they've done.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Registered

Gary

Let me know if that 50' Delta Conic hull is still available, and if you have any pictures, I'd really like to see them. That Delta. Conic hull is a remarkable design. It was the star attraction at the Miami Beach boat show back around 1980 when I was there. It's debute was on a 9 meter Trojan Express. I know why it didn't work. Delta Conic hulls cannot be stepped, as they loose stability, and completely destroy the design properties and characteristics that the Delta Conic shape was made for. Anyway, it's nice to see that you, and a lot of other OSO people know something about ventilated hulls, and have finally joined this thread discusion. Tony

[email protected]
Old 12-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hasn't there been some Fountains with somewhat the same concept?

Vent ports in the step, with the tubes other end in the engine compartment. Not quite a forced air setup though.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Registered

was it Extreme that had this system on one of there boats a few years ago?
i remember seeing some pics .
Old 12-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Registered

My guess is there is huge potential effiency gains for v-hull given the proper method of ventilation. That boat looks like they might have it figured out. I'd love to see a shootout done by a reputable magazine where they test many hulls all pushed by a bone stock (verified by Merc) 496HO.

My thoughts were to mold the step into the hull and not put the vents thru it. Rather come in afterwards with some stainless steel tubing that could be easily replaced. That would allow one to experiment with different hole spacing, size, etc. without having to make a new hull or majorly rework it. The tube running transverse to the boat in the root of the step could be bolted on and off in a matter of minutes if the rig was on a custom trailer to allow access.

For each configuration of the tube (hole size, spacing, etc.) one would supply a range of air pressues (and therefore flows) and record data on the results. So, you would have a 3D performance map of hole size+spacing vs pressure vs performance (top speed).

Now, I just need the $$$ and time to modify a hull to run these tests!
Old 12-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Registered

Question Re: Forced air ventilated stepped hull?

I'm an inventor, have a few patents, sold a few, but have used all my profits to live on and try-out new ideas. It cost's money to perfect a new idea, or an old idea, that a lot of people had, but didn't do anything with. But I will tell you something...if you have a gut feeling about something, and...if you put your whole heart and time into it....IT WILL PAY OFF.
Beleive me...I've done it.

It took 3-Canadians from Toronto 6 YEARS to perfect the most sought after game ever, TRIVIAL PUSUIT. One of them had a heart attack, and the other two, went to Mexico for six months, and laid on the beach to relax, concentrate, and come up with the remaining 3,000 questions and answers that they needed to make the game work. Today, they are each worth about $100,000,000. There's a movie all about how they did it. Maybee some of you at OSO have seen it. It's a true success story.

I have a design for the PERFECT VENTILATED STEPPED HULL! If anyone's interested, please let me know. Tony

[email protected]

Last edited by FLYWITHME; 12-03-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Registered

I find that...very hard to believe. When air is induced under a platform (hull), it acts like a hoovercraft...there's no fiction, except for air...not like the wet surface of water. THERE HAS TO BE...a significent increase in speed.

Quick Reply: Forced air ventilated stepped hull?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.