Notices

O2 Sensors on 496HO??

Old 11-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: O2 Sensors on 496HO??

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
It's easy, remove a riser, drill a hole approx. 1" above flange on the outer side of riser. Use a stainless bung, which you can get from Imco, CMI, etc. with a step in it. Weld the outside, then weld the inside. You will need to repowdercoat or paint the riser. I've done it quite a few times, very easy to do. Always replace gaskets when removing so you ensure no leaks.

Thanks,
Dustin
Dustin,

I looked up the SS O2 sensor bungs. They are not very tall. If this thickness of bung is used to bridge the distance between the inner and out walls of the riser it would seem that the bung would end up essentially flush with the inner and outer walls of the riser when welded so as to seal the water jacket. Is that the case or is there a taller/longer SS bung that must be used?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like what Dustin said or you could drill the hole in the top layer (don't go all the way thru) a little bigger than the one on the inside layer then set your bung in and weld the inside layer first then fill in the the outside layer. I have some ss o2 bungs that are about 1/2 inch tall If you need some.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by muffman
Like what Dustin said or you could drill the hole in the top layer (don't go all the way thru) a little bigger than the one on the inside layer then set your bung in and weld the inside layer first then fill in the the outside layer. I have some ss o2 bungs that are about 1/2 inch tall If you need some.
muffman,

Yes I need two ssO2 bungs (and two ss plugs for the bungs as well). Let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,

[email protected]
Old 12-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the LM-1 from Innovate. I've been using it for several years. I won't tune an engine without it anymore.

www.innovatemotorsports.com
Old 12-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

You could forget about the o2 sensor and dial in with your exhaust temp
You will still need to weld bungs in so you can insert your thermocouple.
you can use a hand held fluke that has to be a hellavu better than comparable guages that are out there.
Jr.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
You could forget about the o2 sensor and dial in with your exhaust temp
You will still need to weld bungs in so you can insert your thermocouple.
you can use a hand held fluke that has to be a hellavu better than comparable guages that are out there.
Jr.
J-Bonz,

Have you done this?

What is the step by step procedure to dial in using exhaust manifold temperature?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Exhaust temp and CO coincide. As your temp goes up, your afr goes down.
It would have been best to gather your before data from you original setup, but its to late for that. What you need to figure out is your exhaust temps when u run to lean and to rich. These i dont know right off hand but, I beleive any repitable full time engine/dyno man could tell ya right of the top of there head. You should take some caution though since your dealing with efi, I am not up to date on how the 496 operates, especially choke mode. Ask AKA hillbilly for this knowledge, the dude knows his Sh*t.
I hope this helps,
Jr
Old 12-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
J-Bonz,

Have you done this?

What is the step by step procedure to dial in using exhaust manifold temperature?

Thanks!

If you can get an accurate wide range a/f meter, you would be wasting your time measuring exhaust temp. First, you would be looking at the average of 4 cylinders unless you go to one cylinder or all, next if your not data logging and have accurate sensors, then the numbers are not accurate enough to do much with unless you have a prior baseline. Next, temp will vary with spark advance as well, so depending on the load based table of the 496, it may very, then you have cylinder to cylinder timing which will retard/advance in certain cylinders during knock and occassional AE, again changing your numbers.

As for EGT's going up while afr goes down, that would only happen if your getting raw fuel burnt in the pipe or you have a very inefficient cylinder such as low compression with low air flow. Otherwise, your going to get you hottest readings at 14.7:1, after that, it will actually cool down as you get leaner. If your richer, it will cool down as well.

Stock NA motors, cast iron heads, with 91 octane fuel should run around 12.5:1 for peak HP and reliability. With aluminum heads, I like 12.8:1. If a motor gets close to detonation, then you have to richen the motor and or modify timing. There's usually a balance where you can get more power with timing and slightly richer air fuels than leaner air fuels and lower timing. The leaner you are, the more dependent you are on temperature variation, whether it's engine temp, outside air temp, etc.

Dustin
Old 12-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobl
Buy the LM-1 from Innovate. I've been using it for several years. I won't tune an engine without it anymore.

www.innovatemotorsports.com
I has also used this set up, nice piece
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...cat=252&page=1
Old 12-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Registered

A/F sensor (wide band) is the only way to go. they are good from λ=.7 to λ=2.2 a Duel stage O2 is only accurate from λ=.9 to λ=1.05

Quick Reply: O2 Sensors on 496HO??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.