Is rust on enging bad? >

Is rust on enging bad?

Notices

Is rust on enging bad?

Old 12-09-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Is rust on enging bad?

I have a 05 496ho. There are two spots on the engine where there is two large spots of rust. The first is where the head and block meet on the front of the engine. The second is where the exhaust elbow and manifold meet. Both rust spots are on the same side. Is this something to be concerned about or is it just paint coming off?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is rust on enging bad?

I would be concerned about the exhaust manifold. Rust there is often a sign of leakage. Leakage there can ruin an engine.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find out what is causing these areas to rust and resolve issue. I'd then clean up the spots and keep the engines drenched in CRC. CRC adheres and sticks keeping the engine the lubed and protected from moisture.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by East Coast B
Find out what is causing these areas to rust and resolve issue. I'd then clean up the spots and keep the engines drenched in CRC. CRC adheres and sticks keeping the engine the lubed and protected from moisture.
Yes, find out what the issue is,,,,,, it IS an issue!!!!!!
Rust is indicative of a gasket leak. Yes you should worrry about it and you should fix it. Obviously, one of your riser gaskets is leaking, this is common. It also sounds like a head gasket is leaking. You're seeing outward leakage,,,,,,,,,,,,, if there's outward leakage there's likely to be inward leakage. If there's inward leakage, we have problems. Water/moisture may (probably is) getting to your conbustion chambers. Not good!!!!! Holed pistons, hydrolocking, all sorts of bad stuff.

Don't down play water leakage. Gaskets are tons cheaper than rebuilds.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Registered

Thanks to everyone who has responded. My boat is still at the dealer getting warranty work done. I called on Tuesday to get a estimate to when the boat will be done and I asked about the rust spots. The mechanic told me that was normal for rust to appear, which I obviously didn't agree with. I am going to call them Monday.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterman
Thanks to everyone who has responded. My boat is still at the dealer getting warranty work done. I called on Tuesday to get a estimate to when the boat will be done and I asked about the rust spots. The mechanic told me that was normal for rust to appear, which I obviously didn't agree with. I am going to call them Monday.

Yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, BULLCHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rust means leakage, leakage means problems.

Of course, this assumes your engine hatch isn't dripping all over the engines........................................... .............
Old 12-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Registered

Thirdbird,

My engine is spotless. I wish I had a picture to show you. The dealer where my boat is has a great reputation for their service so I will wait and see what they tell me Monday.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterman
Thirdbird,

The dealer where my boat is has a great reputation for their service so I will wait and see what they tell me Monday.
OK, didn't mean to offend you or your dealer. If you have confidence in them, that's all that counts. That one statement above where your mechanic said for "rust to appear is normal" raised my eyebrows a bit.

Hope all goes well and hope it's something simple. Good luck.