Notices

Alpha to Bravo swap?

Old 01-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Alpha to Bravo swap?

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy
The gears are $408 from Bam. I have not seen them aftermarket. Make sure that they are shimmed perfectly. I did one for someone this summer, It's a pain and it takes a while, taking it apart , preloading, moving shims, checking clearance, pulling bearing races, etc. It may have to come apart several times to get everything right. The Merc. book must be followed to a t. Also at least check the backlash on the lower. If not done right it will shear the pinion gear right off. This happened to me when I had some local shop put a drive together, before I had all the tools. Make sure everything in the drive is good. Bearings , seals, etc. Also should go with improved shift spool in lower unit unless it already has one. 1990 and up should be stainless instead of brass. BBB
Most important on the Alpha is setting the pinion depth, then set the backlash and drive shaft free play.

Upper is similiar, check drive gear hight, then rolling pre-load.

I got so used to setting up Alpha's that I could set the backlash by feel but, I wouldn't recommend it. I don't think I could do it without the book nowadays, it's been a while.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got a TREMENDOUS amount of Gen1 Alpha One parts for sale if anyone is interested. ....and I really mean a whole lotta parts. Here's just a sample of what I need to get rid of.

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails Alpha to Bravo swap?-img_9074-large-.jpg   Alpha to Bravo swap?-img_9076-large-.jpg   Alpha to Bravo swap?-img_9080-large-.jpg  

Old 01-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Alpha to Bravo swap?

WOW ! Biggus you really are the man ! I had no idea you were that involved ! Kurt , I'm completely Impressed !!!
Old 01-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to agree with you Big Block Billy. I've seen a pair of 454/420's on Alphas in a 26' Sutphen. It has not blown a drive yet. The boat runs over 70mph. Plus, the parts and new prices on Alpha drives are much cheaper.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting info, thanks
Old 01-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 1988 22' stingray with a bb 602 hp pushing an alpha short drive.The only upgrade I had to do was a thru hull water pick up.The alpha just could not keep up with the demand to keep the engine cool.But I ran that boat for two years with no problems at all.I sold it last year to a guy in Virginia.Just take it easy out of the hole and keep it in the water on waves and you'll have no issues.

Anthony
Old 03-22-2019, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to be a Necromancer to an old post, but I noticed a lot of people talking about keeping the Alphas in the water. Is this a revving issue, a cooling issue, both?
Old 03-22-2019, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

shock load issue
Old 03-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
shock load issue
Meaning how hard you are hitting it out of the water?

I am looking at an old Formula with twin 350 magnums and Alphas. I don't know that I would ever change anything, but if I did have to rebuild or replace engines I am guessing Id go a bit more powerful. But I have hot rod boats if I want to hit it hard out of the hole.

Thank you!

J
Old 09-02-2019, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Reviving an old thread. The shock load that's referred to is when re entering the water. The prop bites at high rpms and things can shred. So if you get air in a higher powered alpha you'd best modulate the throttle while the prop is free of the water and hit it again when reentering.
I just make sure not to break grip.

Quick Reply: Alpha to Bravo swap?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.