Installing hydraulic steering. >

Installing hydraulic steering.

Notices

Installing hydraulic steering.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing hydraulic steering.

Well just about finished with this install doing it myself, the thing is not to bad of an install other than drilling holes in the transom...

I have the whole thing done except for mounting the rams on the transom. I used an IMCO end cap and drilled out the extra holes for the end cap...not to scarry, drilled new holes in the dash for the new style IMCO helm , again not too bad...now lets get to pulling the 4 hydraulic lines...what a pain in the arse!, it is done now but what a pain. Mounted all the adel clips on the hydraulic lines and the securing of the filter... Now it was time to drill holes in the transom for the oil line tubes ....I put the fitting right above the outdrive and on fitting will feed both rams , nice and clean. That was kind of weird drilling holes in the transom but now .........

I still have to get the rams placed and bolted up. This is where it is getting scarry. I have yet to actually drill the holes....that is today. The rams I am using are Hynautic K-5 cylinders and have a big mounting bracket attacthed to the ram with a solid u joint type connector and I am having a time getting the propper dimension for the mounting location. I have the propper plane to the crank center line but the dimension ffrom the gimble housing is another story. What I have done at this point is connect the ram, put the drive full over and compress the ram all the way and mark on the transom, next extend the ram full over to the other side and mark the transom. I have done this on both side and the marks are equall on both =sides but they differ about 2.5 inches from full lock to full extension on each side make sense . I guess the only thing to do is make sure tha placement puts these rams when the port ram is fully compressed and the starboard ram fully extended , and the same on the other side, this is my turning radius and that is that. Am I correct? Just drill the holes !

Thanks.

Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Rose; 12-29-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installing hydraulic steering.

"I guess the only thing to do is make sure tha placement puts these rams when the port ram is fully compressed and the starboard ram fully extended , and the same on the other side, this is my turning radius and that is that."

That is the ideal situation. Although when I installed mine that was not possible no matter where I mounted the rams.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:44 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I would be real careful about where those rams get mounted. The last thing you want is for them to bind up when under load. I installed Imcos setup on my boat. The installation instructions gave me exact dimensions and templates for exactly where they want the rams mounted. No guessing that way.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Registered

Well it is all finished except getting the lines made for the rams outside. Measured , and measured until I thoght it was right and it is. Full lock extended = full lock compressed on the other side and Vice versa.... This is tough to do by yourself with no extra hands....and no guide to go by. The guys at IMCO said it was ok to be above the crank centerline by an inch....I am above it by 1/2 inch, this kept me out of the stringer support and allowed me to through bolt all 4 bolts on both sides.

I don't like drilling holes in my transom....Glad that part is over.
And here is where I put the feed tube for the hydraulic fluidjust above the gimble housing......Lts of silicone went into this hole as well as all the others

Last edited by Bryan Rose; 12-29-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey bryan, how much did the setup cost?
jeff
Old 12-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jhiguy377
hey bryan, how much did the setup cost?
jeff
I have $ 1600 in it and still need to get the 2 transom lines made ...so I would say $ 1750 total and about 6 hours labor. Not too bad for a full hydraulic from the helm back dual ram set up.

I got a deal on the rams and 3 of the long lines though from a buddy

Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Rose; 12-29-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Registered

now with a full hydro. system do you remove to whole factory merc power rack off the transom?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Registered

I'm guessing your 2.5" differential was from the drive not swinging fully one way or the other. Tiller arm hitting inside?
Anyway, looks like you got the job done. I built almost the exact setup on my 38 scarab. Loved it. Those rams are REALLY solid. Although mine was non power assisted too, so slow speed turning with twin TRS was a workout.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98itrwhite
now with a full hydro. system do you remove to whole factory merc power rack off the transom?
yes
Old 01-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Registered

finished it a while ago , need to work on routing the lines better.....and also put the beauty rings on the pipes.

Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Rose; 01-17-2006 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Installing hydraulic steering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.