Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Outdrive questions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/123352-outdrive-questions.html)

JTB 02-24-2006 08:11 PM

Outdrive questions

I need to get my drive serviced (Bravo One) for the up comming season, everyone I talk to is booked up so I figure I will do it my self. Does anyone have a link to some info on what all needs to be done? Thanks in advance for your help!

Vinny P 02-24-2006 08:41 PM

Re: Outdrive questions

What do you think it needs? Are you thinking of replacing just the seals or gears and bearings also?

JTB 02-24-2006 09:05 PM

Just routine service. It has not been serviced since i have owned it. The drive has about 100 hours on it and I was not sure what needed to be done as far as prevenitive maintanence. Thanks

Vinny P 02-24-2006 09:20 PM

At 100 hours, the drive should have been serviced several times. Most of us here change the oil every 20 hours. If there are no specific problems with it, I would definetly change the oil. When doing so, drain the oil into a clean container. Check for any metal flakes or glitter in the oil. A little is normal wear, alot means trouble. Make sure you pull the drive to check engine alignment, grease the u-joints and coupler. Check th egimbal bearing for any signs of wear as well.

JTB 02-24-2006 09:35 PM

Thanks for the info, that does not sound too difficult to do. Wow, I am glad I asked these questions, I had no idea the drive oil needed to be changed every 20 hours. Thanks again

Outdrive1 02-24-2006 11:16 PM

Make sure you get a pump and fill the drive from the bottom. If you don't your next post will "my drive blew up, where can I get a new one?". :eek: :drink:

formula31 02-25-2006 07:10 AM

And dont forget the little washers in the drain and vent plugs. They typically stay in the hole and then fall out and disappear. I usually replace them if they are damaged at all. Spline grease the shaft going into the engine and do the alignment before you put the drive back on. A helper whoes done this before will be a great assest.

GOODT 02-25-2006 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by checkmate454mag
At 100 hours, the drive should have been serviced several times. Most of us here change the oil every 20 hours. If there are no specific problems with it, I would definetly change the oil. When doing so, drain the oil into a clean container. Check for any metal flakes or glitter in the oil. A little is normal wear, alot means trouble. Make sure you pull the drive to check engine alignment, grease the u-joints and coupler. Check th egimbal bearing for any signs of wear as well.

If you ever saw what the gears look like after 100hrs on the same lube youd wish you had changed it earlier( they tend to get pitted real bad) and dont be suprized if it really smells when you drain it

JTB 02-26-2006 06:38 PM

Looks like I am in good shape, I drained the fluid and there were no metal flakes at all, the fluid still looked good, it had a green tint to it and did not smell bad. Thanks for all of the info, no i can pull my head out of my butt and take better care of my equipment.