Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Dana Flow Torque exhaust (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/123697-dana-flow-torque-exhaust.html)

glassdave 02-28-2006 11:50 PM

Dana Flow Torque exhaust

1 Attachment(s)
anybody has any experience with this system good or bad? seems pretty reasonably priced for the polished lower and cast upper. i actually think its a good looking system. not sure how big the primary's are but i only need it to support about 450-500HP BBC. as pictured its about $1195.00 list with the cast upperDana Exhaust

SkiDoc 03-01-2006 05:23 AM

Re: Dana Flow Torque exhaust

1 Attachment(s)
Dave, put them on my project last year and they were of good quality and worked great the runners keep the exhaust from each cylinder seperate for a long time. Would highly recommend.

blownboat 03-01-2006 07:36 AM

I bought 2 sets and havent ran them yet. The ones you have pictured are an upgraded riser, I think I paid around 1800 with that riser.

customtouch 03-01-2006 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by blownboat
I bought 2 sets and havent ran them yet. The ones you have pictured are an upgraded riser, I think I paid around 1800 with that riser.

glassdave, I just installed 2 sets on my boat. I am on my way to work right now, but I will post a full run down on it with pics tonight.

glassdave 03-01-2006 03:35 PM

cool . .. good info.

KY- did it come with the water distribution tubes that go into the bottom of the runners? just curious i didnt seen any pics of that.

Blown- yea . . actually i realized it at the end of that post and didnt feel like re-typing :D are you happy with the long style riser? i was considering that option but may put on silent choice and dont know if i have the room.

Custom- get those pics up man! :drink:

so they are a pretty good exhaust huh? actually the first thing that drew me to them was the look, i like the shape of 'em. thanks all :cool:

customtouch 03-02-2006 01:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Glassdave, Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Just got home from work (11:30p.m.) :eek: . Actually an early day! :rolleyes: Anyway, I have a minute to respond. To start off with, I did not buy the headers expecting to gain alot of extra H.P.. I have stock 502's and I have been around long enough to know that simply changing exhaust is not going to move me into another insurance bracket. I changed mine because I no longer trusted the stock manifolds to not rust through (internally) and prematurely destroy my engines.(I want to do that on my own :D ) However, part of why I did go with the Dana's is that if I decide to move into that next Ins. bracket with big power, all I should need to do is change the tail pipes to prevent reversion ( instead of buying a new set of headers). I bought this set with the standard risers to fit silent choice. I will also admit that I bought them because they are the best looking (factory replacement) manifolds on the market! (IMO). I do not like the square box looking manifolds! The people at Dana were very helpful with answering any and all questions that I or my mechanic had. The only real problem we had was that it took a l---o----n-----g time to get them!!! I think they had a back order problem on the risers or something. I can't get too pissed about it because (1) It was winter and I wasn't using the boat anyway. (2) I am running w----a-----y behind on the boat I am painting now too!! :eek: My mechanic said the installation went pretty smooth. He was able to use the stock oil filter bracket by relocating the drive reservoir and putting a spacer under the filter. Then he just had to do a little grinding to make the hose fit. The only thing I don't like about the set-up is the brackets I bought from Dana for the shifter. They are not made from a thick enough guage metal and are v--e--r--y flimsy. When I get a chance, I intened to go back and brace them up or use them as a pattern to make my own! All in all I am happy and would do it again (with out the brackets). I am interested to see if there will be any noticeable increases in performance although I am not banking on that much with bone stock motors. But D--a---u--m they look g--o--o--d!!!! :D Also to answer your question on the distibution hose, there is only one hose that attaches to one tube on the bottom of the headers and it distibutes internally I guess. Here are some pictures of them installed but there was not much light so they are a little dark. (Jason) I know you are reading this so the last picture explains what I was telling you about the clearance for the hatch ram. If I had not had the squares ground down, there would be no way the ram could have stayed there. There is less than a 1/8 inch space on both sides of the ram after removing the safety cover! Now I have to repaint the ram from where the safty cover rubbed it! Something eles I don't have time to paint!!!! :D

customtouch 03-02-2006 01:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the shifter bracket. Way to thin (IMO) but I guess it will work! Only thing I was disappointed with!

customtouch 03-02-2006 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jason, You can see here how close they are to they hatch ram. If you did not have yours ground down I would either have it done or plan on moving the ram. Also you can see the spacers for the oil filter.

SkiDoc 03-02-2006 05:43 AM

Custom, the bracket is thin but I think they do that so that they can be bent to adapt differnent needs. Had to bend mine. They don't have not much load on them and they worked well for me this past summer. I bought all stainless fittings to replace the brass ones supplied. I think they look better than all but CMI's, but they should be more durable than the CMI's.

customtouch 03-02-2006 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
Custom, the bracket is thin but I think they do that so that they can be bent to adapt differnent needs. Had to bend mine. They don't have not much load on them and they worked well for me this past summer. I bought all stainless fittings to replace the brass ones supplied. I think they look better than all but CMI's, but they should be more durable than the CMI's.

I agree with you 100% and you may be right about why they make the bracket thin. However I get alot of flex and movement out of mine when you shift or if you happen to touch them they bend WAY too easy for me! (No, there is not a problem with the shifters or cables :rolleyes: ) I will probably run them this summer the way they are (I am running out of winter to work on it :D ) and brace them during the next lay-up! I would recommend the headers to anyone, I just wouldn't recommend the brackets for everyone!(JMO)

David