Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trim Tab Mounting Angle, Parrallel to Hull or Horizontal ?? >

Trim Tab Mounting Angle, Parrallel to Hull or Horizontal ??

Notices

Trim Tab Mounting Angle, Parrallel to Hull or Horizontal ??

Old 02-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Tabs can help porpoise just by running them close to neutral. Maybe your boat "shouldn't" porpoise as others have said but I am not familiar with your hull. At cruise by boat will porpoise if I trim up past neutral. So, I have two choices. Trim the drive down or drop a little tab. I have played with both and in my boat dropping the tab works better. And by works better I mean more speed and rpm with the same throttle setting.

For the tabs I have done a lot of research and if you ask 10 people 5 will say parallel with the hull(angled) and 5 will say parallel with the water(flat).

For my boat I think flat would be better. BUT, I have yet to get a good answer for mounting height when mounting the tabs flat.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry wrong button

but fixxer22 what power and drive ratio you running on you outlaw?

and under acceleration it doesn do it only at a steady throttle cruise it starts and cant fix it untill i bury the drive slow down and creep back up slowly i have not found any variance with placement of people or anything like that it actually seems to kinda like a coulple big people up front but not real sure on that have been more occupied with keeping the drunks from doing drunk things lol like had one guy jump off side at 45 CRAZY guy
Old 02-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered

sickpantera your boat exibits same behavior as mine and your tabs are on same angle as hull currently and they fix your problem? i know i am being a giant pain guys sorry i am new and hungry for information and have learned over the years the more "seasoned" guys have found out what works and what doesn lol i only want to do this once though glass work just plain sucks to do so not patching holes would make my day and plus if gf is happy EVERYONE is liittle happier
Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by butteboy
sickpantera your boat exibits same behavior as mine and your tabs are on same angle as hull currently and they fix your problem? i know i am being a giant pain guys sorry i am new and hungry for information and have learned over the years the more "seasoned" guys have found out what works and what doesn lol i only want to do this once though glass work just plain sucks to do so not patching holes would make my day and plus if gf is happy EVERYONE is liittle happier
I use my tabs for cruise porpoise and they are mounted the same angle as the hull. But, I have to drop a lot of tab and when they dig you can really feel it. I am seriously thinking about moving my tabs inward, lowering them and mounting them horizontal. The engine is out and now is the time to do it.

My logic is the lower tab will require less negative angle. Instead of the corners of the tab digging in and causing a "snowplow" affect, the horizontal tabs will be closer to neutral(higher than I currently run them) and I will be using the entire width of the tab(instead of the corners). I will have to run less tab at cruise and getting rid of the "snowplow" affect will give me a higher cruise speed vs rpm. And at WFO when the tabs are up farther using the entire width instead of the corners digging in I may pick up a little speed. Just a theory.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 02-18-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Registered

@butteboy, have you mounted those tabs yet? I have the same boat and am preparing to put some tabs on as well so I was wondering how things have worked out.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered

i have not mounted them as i was informed the right stringer is soft and flexing and i was cautioned on adding anymore power to the boat so i have listed the boat for sale locally as i am sure some family will greatly enjoy the boat with stock power for many years just not mod friendly for my as i want to pick up 10 ish mph so i'm in the market for a similar year hammer to play with
Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by butteboy
ok i know this is reeaallly old but hopefully this'll bump it and someone can chime in

i have a 21 ft baja 208 islander and recently recieved lever co 12X16 tabs and mounting them is becomeing an issue i have done a bunch of reading and research and no one seems to have a solid yes this works to correct this answer

my problems are porpoising and chine walk at about 55 and faster and its really making passengers uncomfortable IE girlfriend and i was informed it needs calmed down before i add the 177 blower ha ha and i am really ready for the blower got a new X drive and everything guys little help please
A 208 Islander was never a performance hull. You need to understand that before you get to crazy with mods to make it go faster. Trying to make what is essentially a family boat hull go faster by adding power will just magnify hull design issues as you apparently have already found out.

As for trim tabs, they can help quiet chine walking, but will do so by scrubbing speed off. (Dragging tabs always does this.) I'd try some different props first because thats the least expensive fix. Better (hydraulic) steering can make a huge difference because it takes the play out of your steering and allows one to counter the chine walking through the helm. And if you're going to go faster than about 65 MPH - particularly in that hull - you're going to need it.

One thing you may want to think hard about though is how much you'll be sinking into that hull to make it go faster. Tabs, hydraulic steering, a blower, X drive etc. will cost you a fortune - and not return a single cent on resale value. In fact it will actually hurt the resale value of that boat. Just a thought.