Help me build my 454, step by step >

Help me build my 454, step by step

Notices

Help me build my 454, step by step

Old 04-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help me build my 454, step by step

Jason, call Dave at the Cylinder Head Shop 331-1110, tell him I referred you. He's done all my machine work and knows big blocks as well as anybody, if not better than most. His shop is on 620, near Anderson Mill.

John
Old 04-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnJan
Jason, call Dave at the Cylinder Head Shop 331-1110, tell him I referred you. He's done all my machine work and knows big blocks as well as anybody, if not better than most. His shop is on 620, near Anderson Mill.

John
Thanks John, just got off the phone with him. he does sound like he knows what hes talking about. hes checking on some heads for me.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

you'll be ok with the cast crank up to 500 or so hp, if you are thinking about a blower down the road find a good used oem forged steel crank. have the rods resized with arp rod bolts, have the rods set up with floating pins, have the block aligh honed so you get the right bearing crush, have the block decked and squared, balance the roating assm, if you on a budget get some eom large oval port heads and buy and intake from summit, 850 dbl pumper you should be able to locate one here on the boar, there are probablyt some oso members with a set of the heads here too. oh btw, kb hypereutectic pistons are still cast crap, marine engines see a lot of detination so go with trw/speed pro flat top forged pistons. most imprtantly find a good hi po machine shop with bhj fixtures to do you work!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered

Whats the highest compression i can run with 93 octane and iron heads? Looking at pistons now.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

I would build based on 89 octane. No more then 9 to 1.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Whats the highest compression i can run with 93 octane and iron heads? Looking at pistons now.
I recently finished a 383 with Dart Iron Eagle heads for my Camaro. Went 9.5:1 based on Dave's advice. I'd say you'd be in the ballpark with that CR, but it would also depend a lot on cam you choose. You really need to consider all of the parts as a "system". Choose gearing for the RPM you want to have for the type of driving you'll do - then cam to run well at that RPM - then compression to match the cam - heads to flow the right amount of air at that RPM and lift - intake to flow at that RPM - and so on.

Dave can help you with all of that.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JohnJan
I recently finished a 383 with Dart Iron Eagle heads for my Camaro. Went 9.5:1 based on Dave's advice. I'd say you'd be in the ballpark with that CR, but it would also depend a lot on cam you choose. You really need to consider all of the parts as a "system". Choose gearing for the RPM you want to have for the type of driving you'll do - then cam to run well at that RPM - then compression to match the cam - heads to flow the right amount of air at that RPM and lift - intake to flow at that RPM - and so on.

Dave can help you with all of that.
The block and crank are going to dave right now to get started.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
...most imprtantly find a good hi po machine shop with BHJ fixtures to do you work!!!
Yeah to what he said! These different fixtures are like a sort of "jig" usually refered to such as "deck plates" or other jigs like a "deck true" that a machine shop uses to true up a block and accurizes the different machining processes they may undergo. They help to make a block as "square" and as about as true/perfect as it can be/get. A good, reputable, precision machine shop will have these sitting in their shop and use them when/if needed.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Registered

Trust me, I know nothing about building engines, but I saw a good article in this months Hot Boat about 454/502 rebuilds complete with cam, head and manifold recommendations. Might be worth taking a look
Old 04-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Ok

This is the first engine that i will completely rebuild on my own. I am going to need a lot of advice along the way. Its not in my boat, its in my 72 nova. I figured i would tackle this since i wouldnt have any downtime in my boat if things went wrong

Heres what im starting with.

454 block, needs to be bored .060 over.

cast crank, been turned and in good shape .010/.010

I have a set of stock rods that are in good shape.

The heads i have suck, and need recommendations on that.

So where do we start?

Im taking the block in to be bored. do i need anything else done?

are the rods good?

what should i start thinking about as far as pistons and a kit go?

The goal here is to have a streetable car that is fast. i do have a budget, but at the same time want to build a decent engine. no top of the line, but no junk either. i would like to see 500hp out of it.

Please be patient with me as i will be asking a ton of questions, ive never done the entire thing before and am looking forward to it. Ill post pics and progress as we go along.

Thanks to all in advance

Jason
I hope you stayed in a Holiday Inn last night

Just kidding

Take your time and listen to everybody's advice.Good machine work is a must,The engine how to books will give ya a better understanding,theres a bunch out there.The how to blueprint is also a good one.

Do a search on the board theres some good threads on here on build ups..

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Help me build my 454, step by step

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.